Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply at 10 months?

Default Low Supply at 10 months?

Hi ladies,
    Is it realistic that I could have a low supply nursing a 10 month old that has always exclusively nursed? Nothing has changed with me-I am not pregnant, I don’t take oral contraceptives, we cosleep I am a sahm, but I was wondering if her teeth could have messed her latch up and given her a shallow latch, but that doesn't seem right, because she has a bigger mouth at 10 months, and she MUST know how to nurse because she has been in the 75th percentile for weight up until now (about 66th, but she crawls around). She weighs 20.5 lbs and is 27.5 inches long. She is not interested in solids (but she does like to drink water from the shower nozzle), and I have my Dr.'s blessing to breastfeed exclusively for a year. She has just been a bit fussy, on and off the breast, and I can't feel my let down (which I know can be normal, but I had always felt it a little until just recently) and well, it just doesn't seem like she eats much on the breast, plus, when I nurse her down for naps, she comfort sucks and it has started to irritate my nipple, which is why I wondered if her teeth could have messed up her latch. Anyway, I am just wondering what's up. Thanks so much for reading.

Amanda

Default Re: Low Supply at 10 months?

How are wets and poops?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well I think they are fine, she used to poop every day or every other, but the past 3 weeks or so, she started pooping once every 4 days (and they are stinky now--from about 8 months old-as are her toots--which surprised me because I didn't think they got stinky till they started solids!). I have read or heard that that is normal though for them to change their poops up like that. She has 1 really wet diaper in the morning then maybe 3 or 4 wet ones later in the day, but I can't say they are "sopping" wet like Kelly mom says, but they never were, even early on, maybe diapers are just super absorbant now?

Any thoughts? Just wondering if milk starts to "run out" or if it should be good as long as baby is nursing and could teeth mess up nursing?

You couldn't be pregnant? Because that's the most common reason for supply to suddenly drop. If you're not pregnant, than no, your supply should not just "run out." You may have a slight drop in supply before your period, but that's temporary (so another possibility is that you are about to get your cycles back). However, our child's behavior may change, due to teething or a sickness, making you feel like you have less. If that's the case, just nurse and nurse and nurse, and things should get back to normal in a few days.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Perfect, thanks so much. I have had my cycle back for a about 4 months, but I would be closer to ovulation (if I am ovulating) than period. I thought too that supply could mess up like a tad before you got a period but not ovulation, so I didn't think it was cycle related, but maybe it is. Anyway, thanks!!!

Given the fact that you're doing everything right and baby's wets and poops are normal for her age, I'd attribute the fussiness to something other than supply. Maybe more teeth?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Teeth can sure make babies fussy. I don't know that I'd worry about dropping percentiles right now since I know many babies really lean out when they get more mobile. If her poops and gas are stinky that also could be a solid food she's eating (although probably not if she's eating no solids).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Some pumping moms notice that supply is lower from O to AF. if that's the case, nurse and/or pump more.

Teething is what I'm thinking, or if you guys recently had a cold, maybe a bit of fluid in the ears.

The weight thing...mine have all dropped in weight at that age, two right off the chart (one was my cleft baby) and it was because they are so very active. Two were walking, and those two were the thinnest.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks again ladies, I really appreciate your responses and taking the time for me.

Amanda