Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can congestion be related to an allergy?

Default Can congestion be related to an allergy?

My soon to be 8 month old is sick again! He has been sick with the same congestion like symptoms for the last 3 months. He might have a week or two at most of being symptom free at a time. He is strictly breastfed and doesn't eat any solids. I am getting frustrated that I can't help him. We sleep on the recliner because he just can't sleep laying down and I can't sleep knowing how miserable he is. I'm lost on where to begin on allergies.. if it is that. We did our spring cleaning in hopes that it was just dust, mold, or pet allergies.. . but no help. Food allergies? Where and how do I begin? Does anybody else have this same issue?

Default Re: Can congestion be related to an allergy?

Have you talked to your pediatrician about it?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Talk to the pediatrician. Congestion can certainly result from allergies, but you're not likely to figure out what, if anything, your LO is allergic to just by guessing. I never in a million years would have guessed what my kids are allergic to. It's a big old world and there's just too much stuff out there.

Another possibility for congestion could be adenoid or sinus issues, so that's another thing your doc could offer perspective on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Aw mama, sorry to hear your LO is having a hard time (and you too of course!). Is it possible he has a sensitivity to an allergen in your BM? Dairy is a common culprit for on going "cold-like" symptoms such as stuffy/runny nose. It does take quite some time for it to be out of your system and subsequently your LOs system. I'd say at least a month depending on what your dairy intake is...For my son, it took about 6 weeks to see major results. Thankfully he has mostly outgrown it...I can now have creamer in my morning cup o' joe but if I pig out on icecream and pizza his runny nose is back. In general it's difficult to narrow down allergies for babies...it just becomes a really long drawn out witch hunt...I even resorted to a Total Elimination Diet! But I would just try the dairy thing first. It drastically improved my sons congestion, sleep, and overall demeanor.

Good luck Mama!

I have.. twice.. and they claim that this is due to teething. They won't do any allergy tests until they are at least a year old. So I guess I am on my own to try and figure it out and get help from everyone else besides my doctor.

Thank you for all of your time and input!

Oh geez... coffee w/o creamer??? No ice cream??? YIKES! LOL I guess it is time for me to kick the bad eating habits for the love of my LO. And what??? I won't see results for at least a month?!!!?
    Last edited by @llli*bisha24; March 15th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.