Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! is it too late to breastfeed?

Default HELP! is it too late to breastfeed?

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I have a 1 week old. when he was born i breastfed him
    for the first 2 days - however, no one told me that I was doing it all wrong. i ended up with extremely sore nipples and cracked skin right in the center of my nipples. I finally realized after talking to a lactation consultant that my baby was not latching
    on corrrectly. we tried the SNS kit since i could not nurse but I find it extremely
    frustrating. since then I have been bottle feeding my baby with pumped breastmilk and sometimes formula. My sores have healed now and I would like to try
    breastfeeding again. Is it too late now since he's being fed from a bottle and may be more accustomed to the bottle's nipple rather than the nipple of the breast???
    Please any advice on getting my baby to latch on correctly - I really want to be able to breastfeed!!!!!! I feel somewhat traumatized from the first go around I want to
    get it right this time!

Default Re: HELP! is it too late to breastfeed?

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! It's absolutely not too late to nurse. It may be a bit tricky to get baby back to the breast after most of a week on the bottle. This link has helpful techniques for coaxing a baby back to nursing: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. The most important tool you can have is patience- it may take many, many attempts before your baby will consent to give the breast a try. Of course, it might just take one! If the baby goes right back to the breast, awesome. But I strongly suggest seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, in person for help with the baby's latch. If baby tore you up really badly in just a couple of days, you'd definitely benefit from hands-on assistance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There a several moms here whose babies took a while to get to the breast; my first wouldn't latch at the hospital and was almost a week old before she started nursing--and then we nursed over a year. The most important thing is patience, which I realize can be hard when you are both tired and hormonal. I agree with Mommal that getting a good lactation consultant is probably vital; even if you have to pay for her out of pocket, you will save more than that money when you don't have to buy formula. If you don't know, IBCLC is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. This link will let you search for one nearby you: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

You can DEFINITELY breastfeed again I agree make an appointment with an IBCLC right away. Do lots of skin time with baby just enjoying that connection. If baby acts interested in the breast try offering. The LC will be able to help you get your baby latching on correctly. But some tips for trying on your own are getting baby to open his mouth wide before latching on by running your nipple from the tip of his nose to his chin. Then bring him to your breast rather than putting the breast in his mouth. There are many more tips you can use to help. Hands on help is the best so find an IBCLC asap And remember you CAN do it
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

You and I are in the same boat! I have learned so much from this forum! There's so much I never knew and nobody ever told me! Looking back I wish I would've done some research about BFing before giving birth, but I figured it was such a natural process, that I wouldn't need any help! Boy was I wrong! Now Im still struggling and my DS will be 6 weeks (3 weeks adjusted age) tomorrow!!! Just to give you a heads up, if you baby is not nursing at all from your breast you need to pump, pump, pump!!!!!!! No one ever told me that either and when I found out that my supply was low and it was because of that, I was so frustrated!!! Im only making about 7-8 ounces of BM in a 24 hour period, where my son is taking 24 ounces in 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now Im scared that my supply is shot and Im not gonna be able to get it back!!!!!

thanks for the link!!! I'm going to look them up, though they are quite expensive!

You might talk to your insurance company to see if LC services are covered; WIC, if you qualify, often also has breastfeeding support services. The other thing would be to find a local LLL meeting because you might be able to get help for free from a leader there.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I am already learning so much and i've just joined! I totally agree with you about doing more research about BFing before giving birth. I assumed it would come naturally too! I didnt realize the patience and learning involved! I am so determined to try again - it's so disappointing when all i feel is discouragement about it. well I wish you the best!!! just pump pump pump!!!

thank you that link was very helpful!!! and thank you for giving me hope! Patience is definitely key. I always thought breaastfeeding would be so easy and I never imagined myself having problems with it.
    it's a huge eye opener for me..
    I am going to try again, and might consider the help of a lactation consultant

You've already gotten great advice so I just wanted to say that I have been there. Twice. My daughter was born 7 weeks early and took 2 months to ever latch. My son, who I thought I had it all figured out for, took 3 weeks. You can most certainly get the baby back. You need tons of determination, patience and time.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn