Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should a 6 month old breastfeed?

Default How often should a 6 month old breastfeed?

I've introduced solids to my 6 month old daughter, I don't know if she's still breastfeeding enough she's content and everything but sometimes she refuses the breast and is fussy when I try to BF her I think maybe she's not as hungry because of the solids?? I don't know!! How often should I be offering the breast?

Default Re: How often should a 6 month old breastfeed?

are you offering her the breast before you give her solids? I started solids with my little guy a few weeks ago and always makes sure that he bf first. Then i wait a little while before I give him solids, like 15-20mins

Question Re: How often should a 6 month old breastfeed?

yes I offer the breast first but I find it hard to get into a new feeding schedule or routine when there are mealtimes now...anyone else having this issue?? also does anyone know the estimated amount of times a 6 month old should be BF in a day??

I have read that the "average" six-month old should nurse every three to four hours, even after introducing solids. But, I think it really depends on the baby and the mother. I understand that some mothers aren't into the "comfort nursing" thing, but my six-month old DS still nurses about every two hours on average, sometimes more. I try not to watch the clock, and just read his cues and his moods. Sometimes he only nurses for a small amount of time for comfort or to fulfill thirst, and other times he nurses longer and truly seems hungry. Our most successful nursing sessions are before nap time and bed time, because he is very distracted during the day and when he is anywhere but the bed. I think as long as your LO seems content and is gaining well, you need not worry about the "number" of times they nurse a day. You are doing the right thing by nursing before solids. The solids should complement the diet and are more for exploration. They are not meant to replace any nursing sessions at this point. Possibly keep doing what you were doing as far as nursing sessions go before you introduced solids, but keep a "time(s) of day" that you want to sit down and explore solids. But I wouldn't recommend putting LO on a nursing schedule. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by mommylaura; November 12th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

My DS is almost 8 months old. He's been on solids for about a month now. We don't schedule our feedings of bottle or solids. To be honest, he only gets solids (spoonfed, that's how he likes it!) when he still seems hungry after a bottle. He gets cheerios or apples on his tray to play with and gum while we're eating but other than that, we have no set mealtimes. At this age, solids are about fun and learning, not nutrition! I 2nd the PP, I wouldn't start a nursing schedule, IMO.

Good luck and have fun!