Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing for 5 min?

Default nursing for 5 min?

Hello Mommas!

First of all I want to say how great these forums are! I have had great feedback and help which has helped me continue to nurse my little girl..thank you!!

My little one is 10 weeks old and lately has been nursing 5-15 minutes on one side per feeding. She nurses longer before falling asleep at night around 10pm..but I think it's due to comfort nursing as well. She usually nurses for longer periods of time if she is falling asleep at the breast. Should I be concerned if she only nurses for 5 minutes for a feeding? I know I have oversupply and overactive letdown so I don't know if she is getting a lot in the 5 minutes thats why? She pulls off and I try and re-latch her but she turns her head and is not interested as if she is done. If I keep trying to offer her the breast she starts to get fussy and sometimes clamps down. I'll wait a few minutes than offer again and sometimes she takes it and nurses for another few minutes than pulls off. She seems fine until the next feeding 2-3 hours later and has enough wet and poopy diapers. Should I be concerned at all? Or be thankful that I have a fast eater?

Oh and it's been difficult lately to read her hunger cues as she is always sucking on her hands/fingers lately!!! Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Default Re: nursing for 5 min?

I sooo hear you. It has been very difficult for me to read hunger cues lately as my DD is always sucking on something. Also, mine has always nursed only one side per feeding for 5-10 minutes. About a week ago she nursed (not just comfort nursing she was gulping it down) for 25 minutes and I felt like it would never end. Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. I just thought I'd commiserate.

Nope I wouldn't worry ONE BIT. I also have OS and OALD and both my girls have been 5 minute nurses unless at night then it's longer as they fall asleep. A1 who nursed for 13 months was always that way. 5 minutes on only one side always except during the night. But always one side at a time. So far A2 is the same way. If she appears satisfied and done after the initial 5 minutes then let her be. She knows when she is hungry
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I totally could have written your post, to every detail! My son, also 10 weeks, does the same exact thing. He's started sucking his fingers and hand, too, which makes it more confusing for me! I saw a lactation consultant last week and mentioned the short feedings to her, and she said it's normal for some babies to get enough in 5-10 minutes. So if she's gaining well and has enough wet/poopy diapers, then be thankful you have a fast eater!

This is the blessing of OALD and OS. When baby is an efficient eater, you can feed him in 5 minutes.

I remember going shopping with DH and baby #1 wanted to eat just about when we got into the mall. He said, "I'll meet you at the store," and I said, " he will be done in 5 minutes or less. Park it for a minute." nursed the kid and tucked him back in the sling before DH could finish buying a soda
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks ladies for your feedback! It's good to hear there are other moms out there experiencing this as well =).

In regards to wet diapers..how do you know what a good wet diaper is? We use disposables at the moment. Thanks!!

With disposables I say a good wet diaper is when it feels really squishy
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Kellymom says this about wet diapers: " To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling."