Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing strike? HELP!

Exclamation nursing strike? HELP!

ok...I thoughtmy LO was just being lazy but it seems like he just doesn't want to nurse from my breast anymore. He will be 5 weeks old on wed. I had two 45 minute sessions last night trying to feed him. I undressed him,. changed his diaper, had low lights in the room but he He either pulls away from my breast or falls asleep. This morning I finally gave up and gave him a bottle because he has not pooped in two days and I need to know he is getting something to eat. He ate 2 ounce from the bottle which makes me feel good but I had to fight him to eat the enitre thing. This has been going on for several days now and i dont know what to do. His first bottle was last night so it's not like he is just wanting the bottle because it is easier.

I am going to call the lactation consultant on Monday and make an appointment but any advice would be great.

If I supplement with formula do you have any recommendations on what to use? I just want to make sure he is getting enough to eat.

Default Re: nursing strike? HELP!

My best friend tells me he will eat when he wants to eat but everything online says that is not the case.

Although the techniques for helping with a nursing strike may very well help, I would say it is not a strike because a baby who is only 5 weeks old and gets all thier nutrition at the breast cannot go on strike without starving. Strikes more commopnly happen with older babies who have started soilids or are being given bottles. So this is something else, imo. Illness, maybe? If I understand it correctly, It started with baby nursing a shorter and shorter amount of time, which made you very worried and perhaps made both you and baby very tense, which may have contributed to this, but I don't know.

You have to feed your baby, you cannot wait for baby to "get hungry" because baby is so young. So supplementing is warranted if baby will not nurse. But don't force baby to "take" a certain amount per feeding. Just try again later. (You can leave leftovers in the fridge until the next feeding) Also you need to pump to keep up your supply anyway if baby is not nursing. But you have a choice in how you supplement. Bottles will almost certainly cause more issues. So consider an at the breast supplementer (lactation aid) or cup or spoon or syringe feeding. If you must use bottles, use these suggestions: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

Your baby is not rejecting you or your breasts or your milk. Babies have a deep biological imperitive to nurse. So something else is up, and I am glad you are seeing a Lactation Consultant. I hope she spends a good amount of time with you and helping you help your baby to nurse.

These videos include one with a baby being cup fed and one where mom is using a lactation aid. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

good ideas for GENTLY encouraging baby back to the breast. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I would NOT supplement with formula. Two days between poops is quite normal. Have you tried walking around while getting him to latch? I had to do that with A2 for several weeks in order to get her to nurse. It's like she just needed to be distracted enough to nurse. How many wet diapers is he having? Is he fussy or seems generally content? Do you try to feed him when he is showing hunger signs or are you going by the clock?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I feel like I have tried everything...I have tried to walk around with him..lay with him..he either sleeps or pulls away. I feel like he pees all the time..I would say he has 6 very wet diapers everyday. I have decided to pump when he is supposed to eat and my husband is giving him a bottle this weekend because I dont know what else to do. This has been going on since wed..and has generally been fussy after I feed him..so then I try again and he won't latch so then I think he is not hungry. I have given him two bottles this morning and he has eaten 2 ounces each time and completely content in between bottles.

BTW my post is based on you saying baby is on strike, which means baby WILL NOT NURSE, at all. If the issue is baby going longer between poops (which may be entirely normal) or having a few fussy feedings, (also normal) that is different. See the LC by all means, hopefully she can help allay your fears about baby getting enough becasue my last understanding from your previous thread was baby was gaining well.

I wonder if you have OALD.

Pumping like you are doing stinks. It is very, very hard to keep a supply, it is more time consuming than breastfeeding is in the long run, and it's just much more difficult.

See th IBCLC before you are trapped into EPing It is not the way you want to spend your baby's first year if you can find a different way.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!