Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working, refusing bottle, help!

Default working, refusing bottle, help!

Hey everyone, so here is my current dilemma,refusing a bottle.

To start my LO nurses about 6-7 times in 24 hr period, and we just started cereal two weeks ago, and a new icky tasting medication for reflux. Since that time he has refused to take a bottle when I am at work from my husband or mother, when he has previously done so just fine.

My mom thinks that it is because of the new medicine which is a liquid that does not come from my breast that tastes bad (if that makes since). I have tried disguising it in ebm and giving it in a bottle, but he knows better than that. I wouldn't dare put it in the cereal now, because then that could ruin something that is going well. We just give it through a syringe, and as time goes by he fights it much less.

I called the pedi for suggestions, but someone who was not my doc, or his nurses called me back and suggested that I offer formula! That he should not go 8 hrs without milk, even though he gets a little in his rice cereal, and babies do this at night all the time ( I work one day a week btw). Formula is great for some people, but we have worked way to hard at nursing, and milk supply has never been a problem, so I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE HIM FORMULA!

I thought maybe I could put some diluted apple or pear juice in a bottle so he can see that something yummy can come out of a bottle. Then maybe he would take breast milk in it again.

Also he has just started rolling both ways, and beginning to sit pretty well, he just has a lot going on developmentally. and can be pretty fussy about napping, or anything he doesn't want to do.

Any suggestions? I think this may just be his personality? Is it the medication? He would eat from a bottle if he was really that hungry wouldn't he?

Default Re: working, refusing bottle, help!

Ha ha. It's so ridiculous what people who really should know better suggest. If the problem is the baby won't drink your delicious breastmilk from the bottle, why would formula be drunk from a bottle any better? Sheesh.

You only work one day a week and baby nurses great the rest of the time?-Frankly, I would not sweat it too much. Leave plenty of solids and solids mixed with your milk for baby. I would not suggest juice in a bottle, but what about water?

Also how old is baby? Maybe a sippy cup would be more his speed? These can work great after about 4 months or so. Or try these tips for bottle feeding the breastfed baby. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Was your milk frozen? Smell (and/or taste) your defrosted milk to rule out excess lipase issues.

There are great articles on this site with lots of tips for when baby refuses bottles.

I am sorry about the horrible taste of the reflux medicine. Zantac? My son just spit it right back up. Finally we had to do a Prevacid suspension which cost a FORTUNE but was sweet. We aslo used lots of other methods for dealing with the reflux and were able to take baby off the meds pretty quickly. Don't put medicine in the bottle, that could definitely cause a bad association. But this could or could not be the culprit. Baby might just miss you and this is his way of rebelling. It could be many things!

Yes, he is taking lansoprazole, the generic for prevacid. With a high deductible plan the prevacid was going to be $200 a month so we asked for the generic. I had no idea that the prevacid was sweet. Now I feel bad . He was on axid before which also didn't taste great, and that was three times a day, and he still took a bottle then, he was on that for about three weeks.

I did taste thawed milk and fresh, the fresh was a little sweeter, but the thawed still tasted okay. I didn't think that it tasted bad. This was my first time to really taste it though kwm. He also refused milk that was pumped the day before, and never frozen.

He is 5.5 months old, and has never used a sippy cup. We have a nuk one that has a soft spout and two handles that I have been letting him play with, and showing him that the spout goes to the mouth. I haven't put anything in it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will read the website.

Hi
    I am having the same problem with the bottle. She initially refused the bottle when she was 3M, but eventually took it after about a week. I work PT too, but M/W/F. Up until about a week and a half ago she was taking the bottle just fine. She was taking 5oz about every 4 hours and this dropped down to 4oz when I added solids after she turned 6mos. 10 days ago she completely refused the bottle all day. So she nurses from me in the morning around 8am before I goto work and then not again until bedtime around 730pm. She will take solids, sweet potatoes, fruit ect, plus she loves table food. Yesterday she did not do so well with the solids either. She has wet/poop diapers, though the poop is really pasty/play doh looking now. Her urine also smelled concentrated last night. btw she is almost 7.5 mos now.

I tried a dixie cup last nignt with fresh milk I pumped yesterday at work. She took about an ounce with a little bit of a mess, but really not too bad. I have tried the avent cup, but she just chewed on the spout. not interested in the milk at all. Interestingly, when I put milk in the cup last night that was from wednesday, she immediately pushed the cup away. It did taste a little bitter. What is the lipase issue? Does it make the milk taste funny? She was taking the bottle fine up until 10 days ago and I have not changed by diet, I do not understand why she is refusing the bottle again I have a ton of frozen milk that is getting ready to expire and she will not eat!!!

Is there a cup that is better than others to transititon? how about straws?
    Thanks in advance.
    Angie

Oh, and I did call the pediatrican and they said as long as she is eating solids and have wet diapers they were not concerned. If her weight changes or she starts acting differently to call.
    She is teething pretty good right now too.

Yes, he is taking lansoprazole, the generic for prevacid.
    Hmm. I take lansoprazole myself, in a dissolving tablet, and it is sweet. I wonder if you could put that into water and turn it into a suspension and give that to baby? if that is what you are already doing then in my experince it looks and tastes just like the Prevacid solutab that both me and baby took previously. Twist is, I was just informed by my pharmacy the generic is no longer available but I am not sure if that is ony here or what. Oh yeah, that axid was awful we had tried that as well.

My 3yo son also takes the generic. The pharmacist told me it was no longer available also. After calling the pedi, I found out that I could not get it bc it is now sold OTC. Hopegully it is cheaper now too.

I had to do a lot of calling, and the physician had to re adjust how the dosing was ordered to get a generic of prevacid. It is a pink solution, and I tasted it, and it did taste a little icky, but no more than the axid.

I am glad someone else has a child that suddenly refused once getting solids. The only thing he gets is the cereal, and someone said they can drink it out of a bottle, so you can get more breast milk in.

My pedi said not to worry also, that at this age they don't have the ability to starve themselves. I just want him to eat. I also don't want to have to admit that he now may have an oral aversion because I didn't want to pay $200 a month for the brand name But if it was a true oral aversion I don't think he would take cereal from a spoon, and he opens his mouth for it and everything.

My mom did say that she always had to convince him that there was breast milk in the bottle and that he actually did want to eat it. And I was always worried that he would begin to prefer a bottle over me......