Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you over feed when EBF???

Default Can you over feed when EBF???

I was wondering if you can over feed a breastfed baby? My daughter is at 75% on the growth chart, and I was just wondering if it's possible to over feed....?
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Can you over feed when EBF???

Nope, you can't overfeed a breastfed baby because you're not in charge of the feeding, the baby is. When she is hungry, she will suck eagerly, generating a rapid flow of milk. When she gets full, her sucking will slow, at which point milk flow will dpslow down to a trickle or stop completely. And when she is really absolutely done, she will turn her head away and refuse to latch. This is different from what happens with a bottle, where the adult can keep tipping the bottle up or slipping it back into baby's mouth, encouraging the baby to take a bit more. Also, bottles aren't as sensitive as the breast- they generate the same rapid flow of fluid regardless of whether the baby is sucking eagerly for food, or lazily for comfort.

There's nothing wrong with being a larger baby, just as there's nothg wrong with being a smaller baby. Healthy kid's come in all shapes and sizes. One thing that many new parents don't realize is that the rate of weight gain changes over time. Breastfed babies often gain weight very swiftly during their first few months, and then slow way down as they get into the second half of the first year and begin burning up a lot of calories on things like reach, rolling, sitting, crawling, etc. Many babies drop down some percentiles after around 4-6 months- for example, my girls both shot up to the 95-99th percentiles for weight between birth and 4 months, and then dropped down to the 75-80th for weight in the 6-12 month period.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PP -- mine started out in 70th percentile, then over the first few months eased down into the 30th or 40th percentile. And he nursed ALL THE TIME. lol.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Mine have always hung out in the over 90% and above, but since DD is now a 5'3" 10 year old, I think it is genetic.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Nope. Mine were all 95th plus, but one breastfed baby fell off the chart at 9 months, and all are 50th or less now.

Even the bottlefed one fell off the charts. Genetics has a big role if you use a bottle correctly, and even bigger if you breastfeed, I think
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think some babies will take in more if the mother has OS (like me) and like to comfort nurse. But they won't ever eat more than they really need. Not like with bottles. A2 got soooooooooo fat from about 2-4 months old. She wanted to nurse constantly and I was also combating a bad OS and she just blew up like a balloon several people said I was overfeeding her. Of course it was her choice on how much she nursed. But my OS didn't help much because she wanted to keep nursing even though sometimes I could tell she was getting full she kept on sucking so that may have had a bit to do with that. But no, you don't need to limit feedings or anything like that at all.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!