Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refrigerated / Warmed Breastmilk Storage

Default Refrigerated / Warmed Breastmilk Storage

I looked tried to find this answer elsewhere and didn't find quite what I was looking for. My first question is how long does milk keep when it has been only refrigerated (never frozen) and warmed. Secondly, how long does it keep when it has been refrigerated and warmed then partially fed. All of the tables and articles I find refer to milk that has been thawed. At this point, I'm just introducing my LO to bottles and have not dipped into my frozen stash. I tend to pump then refrigerate until my DH gets home then we warm the milk then she refuses the bottle or takes less than a quarter oz. She may not be ready to try again until a few hours later. We have been throwing out each bottle because of the guidelines for thawed, warmed partially fed milk. It seems like such a waste, but I don't want to give her bad milk. We only put 1 oz in each bottle so at least the waste is minimized.

Default Re: Refrigerated / Warmed Breastmilk Sto

Here is an excellent reference from kellymom. www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html Don't throw your milk away. It can be refrigerated and warmed one more time before throwing it out, or if you are going to try again in a few hours just leave it out.
    Last edited by @llli*elizabethlarae; March 10th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

"If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded." from www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html Thank you. It was your post and this one sentence at the bottom of the link that answered my question.

Your welcome. I found this link last week when looking for some reference material for my DCP. I thought it was very helpful.