Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply and pumping

Default oversupply and pumping

I have a major oversupply. I started block feeding when ds2 was a week old. He now only feeds on one side at a time for maybe 5 minutes and seems satisfied.
    I work 3 days/week and pump while I'm gone. I have been pumping both sides simultanesously and can usually get 3 oz per side in 5 minutes.
    Should I only pump one side at each session to match how he nurses at home?
    We're having bottle taking issues so its hard to say how much milk he takes and how often via bottle.

Thanks.
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

FDM 11/16/11 8 lbs 15 oz, 20.25 inches EBF

Default Re: oversupply and pumping

I'd say just pump one side at a time and see what your supply does. I also have OS and if I pump more than dd2 eats then my supply picks up and she has trouble coping with the extra milk. She also only eats one side at a time and only takes about 5 minutes And is growing like a weed Anyway yes I would try just one side at a time with pumping for a bit. I have actually stopped pumping for the most part because I was only pumping to have some milk for my nephew when my sister was at work but I have a pretty big stock he is drinking from now. Anyway dd2 won't take a bottle. So I know how that goes. Have you tried a bottle like the BreastFlow bottle from WalMart or Target? Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Most moms with OS find they can double pump, but maybe get away with just twice a day, or less time at the pump. I would not want to single side pump...then you are pumping every few hours and cant get any work done.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Most moms with OS find they can double pump, but maybe get away with just twice a day, or less time at the pump. I would not want to single side pump...then you are pumping every few hours and cant get any work done.
    I double pumped, but a little less frequently than recommended for moms with normal supply. So for me, that was every 3-4 hours, rather than every 2-3. You have to be careful with this approach and make sure you don't reduce your supply too much, of course. You have to sort of play it by ear and see what works for you. Single-sided pumping every 2 hours, mimicking the block feeding I was doing at home, would have driven me nuts. Not very time-efficient. So that's what I came up with.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

i had a same problem, pumping for whole three months