Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help! shingles, pumping, travel etc.

Default Re: help! shingles, pumping, travel etc.

i'm also afraid my baby won't get enough if i nurse on one side and pump on the other. now that my supply finally adjusted i make just enough for her. each boob makes 50% of her milk. yesterday i tried just the left and it wasn't enough and i ended up letting her have the right one to get enough (even though i'm afraid there's a lesion forming on the areola).
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

If you nurse on the one side and pump the other, just until you get better, your supply will adjust. You might have to simply nurse nd nurse and nurse. But it will adjust.

If you look at the Medela website, they have a how-to on how to find the right size.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, do you think I can adjust the supply so that the left side will make more than the right (pumped side)? that would be ideal in my situation. Would that work itself out if I nurse her often on the left and pump not so often on the right?

I'll check out the Medela website!

Thank you!!!!

i love my little one

Yes, if you do that, you can adjust your supply, barring physical issues with your breasts (reduction, surgery, etc).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

good, i'll try. no physical issues. both breasts have always been pretty even at making milk.

is it possible to keep my right breast in good shape by pumping even if i can't drain it? by good shape i mean avoiding clogs, if that makes sense.

i love my little one

Yep. And actually, that is a smart idea, as when this passes you will then have two breasts to use and can avoid some of the lopsideness that one-sided nursing can result in.

Massage, compressions, pumping frequently, all help drain your breast. It will also get easier with time and practice. It seriously took me like a week when I had to start EPing for Gavin to really get it.

I did pretty well with a hand pump for some years, but the electric will let you nurse at the same time with a hands free bra.
    Susan

thanks. I must say that I have thought about temporarily weaning the right breast, just because it is so sore with the lesions. I think they'll get worse before they get better, from what I hear.

I woke up today with a little plug and gave in and let baby nurse again. I practically wrapped this breast in bandages. This was an issue b/c she started to clamp down with her teeth as the bandages threw her off. But today for some reason she was able to latch on painlessly and nurse even with all the dressings. I keep postponing pumping but I think I will have to try it again, esp. if the lesions get worse.

The problem with massaging and compressions is that the breast is so sore b/c of the lesions that I can't really manipulate it that much. Too bad, b/c it makes a lot of sense and I am sure it would help. I am also afraid of hurting the breast if I pump for too long or too strongly. Not sure what a normal pumping session should be!

The pain and exhaustion are also keeping me from thinking straight these days... thank you again for being here.

i love my little one

15-20 minutes of pumping is enough. But without massage, you can't drain it very well

Hope you feel better soon.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    15-20 minutes of pumping is enough. But without massage, you can't drain it very well

Hope you feel better soon.
    I see. Since I can't massage it, I wonder if I'd be better off weaning that side for a couple of weeks (they say it may take 2-4 weeks to heal)? And how does one go about doing this? (Should I post this thread somewhere else?)

Sorry for so many questions. I am so overwhelmed. Usually I'd research all this online and in my books but because we're on this trip visiting my in-laws I don't have a lot of time online. Plus I trust you more than a random website!

And thanks for the well wishes... I appreciate them!

i love my little one

Umm, your child has already been exposed to the virus AND had the CP vaccine...so why don't you just cover the lesions and nurse her??? Wouldn't that solve all these issues?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!