Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help! shingles, pumping, travel etc.

Default Re: help! shingles, pumping, travel etc.

I had to wean off one side to heal a biopsy incision, and it was no picnic, my milk never truly went away on that side (I was only able to reduce the number of feedings down to once or twice a day) and it took a long time to get my supply back up on that side. So totally weaning off that side would probably take more than the 2-4 weeks it will take to heal! You can try to cut back feedings on that side, though, which might help give you a break. If you can keep nursing at least twice a day on that side, you'll be in good shape to get your supply back on that side later.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Umm, your child has already been exposed to the virus AND had the CP vaccine...so why don't you just cover the lesions and nurse her??? Wouldn't that solve all these issues?
    Leslie, yes, nursing her with bandages is the best option (I tried pumping and it was not so good). I guess my concern is that the lesions might become harder to cover as time goes by, in case they form blisters or sores. Right now most of the lesions are just red bumps. There is only one blister, far away from the breast, which has been there for several days. Will the other lesions also become blisters? I am still hoping the antiviral will keep them from that but I don't know how it works. How was it for you?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I had to wean off one side to heal a biopsy incision, and it was no picnic, my milk never truly went away on that side (I was only able to reduce the number of feedings down to once or twice a day) and it took a long time to get my supply back up on that side. So totally weaning off that side would probably take more than the 2-4 weeks it will take to heal! You can try to cut back feedings on that side, though, which might help give you a break. If you can keep nursing at least twice a day on that side, you'll be in good shape to get your supply back on that side later.
    Oh I see. I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to try to wean one side then. I surely hope that in a few weeks the lesions will be gone as my dr said they would!

i love my little one

Mama this sounds just awful! You are such a trooper for continuing to nurse through it.

Quick pumping tip for you - try double pumping (both breasts at once). I would do this after you nurse the unaffected side so that you don't take away much (if any) of baby's supply on that side. But stimulating both breasts instead of just one will give you a better chance of getting a let down & you will get more milk faster, even without massaging. Stimulating both sides will also signal to your body to make more on the "good" side, which it sounds like is what you want/need.

Hope this helps!c Hugs to you!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I didn't cover them, I just took the meds and nursed
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    Mama this sounds just awful! You are such a trooper for continuing to nurse through it.

Quick pumping tip for you - try double pumping (both breasts at once). I would do this after you nurse the unaffected side so that you don't take away much (if any) of baby's supply on that side. But stimulating both breasts instead of just one will give you a better chance of getting a let down & you will get more milk faster, even without massaging. Stimulating both sides will also signal to your body to make more on the "good" side, which it sounds like is what you want/need.

Hope this helps!c Hugs to you!
    juliasmomma, thanks for the suggestions and the hugs. yes, it has been tough! my breast has been so sore, and i've been so worried about my LO. it seems to be getting better now... i think i'm on the mend.

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I didn't cover them, I just took the meds and nursed
    thanks, Leslie, for sharing your experience. you brought me a lot of relief! the lesions are beginning to heal and have become much smaller and less sore. it's easier to cover them now. i am glad i didn't try to wean the breast because it's getting easier and easier to nurse from it. i still ended up with a couple of plugs because my baby didn't drain the breast as well (what with all the bandages right up to the areola) but so far things seem to be under control. what a ride! i still feel pain even where there're no lesions... i hope the pain won't last too long. thanks again for all your replies!

i love my little one

Oh, wow, I am so glad you're feeling better! That just seemed so brutal. Yay!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Oh, wow, I am so glad you're feeling better! That just seemed so brutal. Yay!
    thanks, JoMo. Yes, it's been tough... The pain, and worrying about my baby. My breast is better but still very sore. I think it's plugged but the lesions make it hard to massage or even to know if there's a problem or not (since the breast is so sore anyway). My baby has been a nursing champ throughout all this--nursing even when her lips have to latch over my bandages. Putting up patiently on the days when my supply dipped due to the infection (got it back up again ). She looks at the bandaged breast inquisitively--it's sweet. She used to play with my breasts after nursing and now I can't let her do that, so I feel a little sad... although she's taking it in stride. Nursing her redeems all the bad experiences and is very healing. I treasure every moment.

i love my little one

This is you, mama:

You can call me JoMo!