Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breastfeeding and shingles?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and shingles?

ouch! i thought the pain would be gone in a few weeks... although the dr. did tell me some people have pain for up to a year. how do i know the antivirals are working??? new little bumps are still popping up.

i only got ibuprofen b/c the dr was afraid anything stronger wouldn't be safe for baby. it does help take the edge of the pain. there are moments when it hurts more and when it hurts less. what a crazy ailment.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Vicodin (or any other hydrocodone like Norco) is safe while nursing. Call infantrisk if you have concerns. I was given the okay to nurse by infantrisk and the pain management team at our hospital while on hydrocordone, oxycodone, morphine, and even dilaudid. Very little of any of the opiates passes through to your milk. Shingles is horrible; you should get some pain meds straight away.

I was in Russia when my husband got shingles and he's not around now, but I think his only lasted a few weeks. He was improving, but still on Vicodin when I got back.

thanks, phi. i will call my dr and infant risk to see if i can get one of those more effective pain killers. and it's encouraging to hear that in some cases it can last just a few weeks.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

@llli*kmanih

Just curious if your lil one ended up getting CP? I'm in the same boat and finding it hard not to be around my DD. She is almost 9 months and the ped told me to give her the Varicela shot early. So far I'm just trying to keep the rash away from her and cover it in bandages so she doesn't scratch it when it becomes open blisters. But after reading some other posts it sounds like it's inevitable for the baby to get CP if mom had shingles. So it would be reassuring to hear stories of babies who were able to dodge it. If not how were you able to cope with CP with her being so young? Any updates would be helpful! TIA!