Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and shingles?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and shingles?

I'm so glad! I hope the Valtrex kicks in soon and helps the break out's length and severity. I wonder if there are maintenance doses you can take for shingles. It may be worth asking your doctor. With herpes and Valtrex basically, you'd take a lower dose every day to keep the virus at bay and thus avoid a breakout. As I understand how Valtrex works, if the herpes virus can be put into submission for a long enough period of time (like 7-10 years), it can basically go dormant. Of course, it can still spark up at any time, but there's less of a chance with it. I don't know if shingles is the same, but I would certainly ask. Valtrex is now in generic, and a lot cheaper that way.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

oh, i will ask, thank you! This is so incredibly painful that I don't want to go through it again. It's triggered by stress and I've been under so much stress lately. I need to find my balance again. I see from your screen name that you do yoga... I used to do Yiengar and it made me feel amazing. Maybe I should go back to it.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Yea, I really need to get more into my practice. Stress is a big trigger.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I got shingles while Joey was still nursing at 21mos. The only reason I took the antivirals was because the shingles were right by my eye. But the kids, who haven't had the CP vaccine, never got CP and I purposely exposed them to my lesions.

Hang in there. CP is no fun, but if for some reason she gets them, things will be ok!! FWIW, I am under constant stress and my shingles have not flared up again!!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

You won't have to worry about taking a maintenance dose of Valtrex; only something like 5% of people get a recurring bout of shingles. My husband had shingles a few years ago and after it cleared up he hasn't had any issues since. I hope it is the same for you!!
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cherron View Post
    My husband had shingles a few years ago and after it cleared up he hasn't had any issues since.
    Same for my husband.

Shingles sucks. I hope it clears up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I got shingles while Joey was still nursing at 21mos. The only reason I took the antivirals was because the shingles were right by my eye. But the kids, who haven't had the CP vaccine, never got CP and I purposely exposed them to my lesions.

Hang in there. CP is no fun, but if for some reason she gets them, things will be ok!! FWIW, I am under constant stress and my shingles have not flared up again!!
    Leslie, thanks for your post. So glad I'm not alone. I had searched the forums and found nothing, and thought I was a freak of nature! Glad to know that your kids didn't get cp. My dr sort of put me in a panic although my baby's pedi was more reassuring. I am sure she was exposed, my lesions are so close to the nipple.

I hope you never get it again! Any advice for coping while I'm having it?

i love my little one

Cherron and phi, thanks for the messages. This really is awful. Sooo painful in so many ways. I am taking the medicine but so far it just seems to be following its course... When will this feel better???

i love my little one

Well, I hate to make you feel worse but my husband had pain and the rash for probably 2 months after he started the medicine. It did get progressively better though so hopefully it will become bearable soon. If it gets really bad they can prescribe capsaicin cream or patches for the rash that helps with the pain a lot and would be compatible with breastfeeding since it is natural (though since it is on your boob it may not be a viable option). You can also use lidocaine spray (like in sunburn spray) to help!

I hope you feel better soon!
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11

Did they give you some vicodin? That is the only way that I was able to make it through the pain
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!