Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a poopy problem!!!!

Default It's a poopy problem!!!! UPDATE

UPDATE:

I took my son to a g.i. Doctor. He said "the cause of his discomfort is a slight intolerance to dairy which is irritating his colon and causing it be a little inflamed. This is why it is difficult to have b.m." He told me to stop i taking all dairy and use Almond Milk as a source of calcium. At least 16 oz a day to replace the calcium I am losing breastfeeding.
    He had me get Culturelle Probiotics capsules. I am to give him a 1/2-1 capsule a day sprinkled in a spoon of applesauce.
    I asked him about the use of the cutip and Vaseline and he said "it is totally fine. It will not make him dependent on it because his organs are still going to function as they do. Continue to relieve his discomfort nightly before bed, as you've been doing. You can also use suppository."

The next day, after 1 dose of probiotics, he had the biggest b.m. he's ever had ON HIS OWN! The next day he had another one.
    It's definitely helping

I hope this helps a stressed out mommy with the same issue.

Hello ladies,

I am a 33 year old new mommy (never thought I could have kids....SURPRISE!!!!!) and I love my son more than the air I breathe. As most of us do, I hope. I never had experience with kids, at all. I'm learning as I go. Any and every bit of help is highly appreicated!!!!!! Thank you in advance!!!!

My lil ninja boy is 13 weeks and is EBF and barely even gets pumped milk unless I wanna have a glass of wine or 3.

Our issue is this:

Since, he was about a month old he has been having problems pooping. It's not solid. It's typical EBF liquid yuck. A lot of times he will cry/scream as if he's trying to push out a solid poop the size of a potato. Turns red, screams, pushes, clenches, flexes his abs, draws legs up, and etc...then....nothing.
    He poots and burps frequently. Normal, I'd say. I don't work and I've only been away from him for 3 hours since he was born. So....I know every lil sound he makes.
    I do the bicycle exercise with his legs frequently throughout the day, blow on his feet, massage his feet with lotion, make fart noises on his feet, massage his belly, sing to him "Whatcha gonna do with that lil bitty booty??? Wiggle wiggle" and start wiggling him and doing the bycicle thingy, and use the wet wipe to try to stimulate BEFORE I use the cutip.
    When he starts screaming and crying like all his organs are gonna come out of his rectum I give in and use a cutip and Vaseline.

I have spoken to his doc a few times about it and she continued to say "babies cry when they poop...." My reply has been and still is "this seems excessive...it's not solid poop. It shouldn't hurt him like it does. It breaks my heart!"
    Today she finally referred us to a gastro doc. So, I'm waiting to do that.

In the meantime....pleas HELP!!!!!! This can't be normal!!!!! What can I do besides what I do, gripe water, gas drops, and baby tylenol???? I've done all that, too.
    Last edited by @llli*mistyt; October 25th, 2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Update

Default Re: It's a poopy problem!!!!

Silly question... Why the vaseline and q-tip? Never heard of someone doing this sorry!

Maybe he doesn't need to go and it's wind?
    Last edited by @llli*bsua65; October 10th, 2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Explain more

I think your doctor is right. A lot of babies cry, fuss, and turn red when pooping. Pooping is actually something we LEARN how to do in infancy. We are not born knowing the most efficient way to coordinate the muscle sphincters in our digestive system, and a lot of babies act very frustrated and upset while trying to master this lifelong skill.

If this were my baby, I would throw out the wipes, q-tips, and Vaseline. You don't want your kid growing dependent on rectal stimulation on order to poop. Instead, I would try nursing him and then popping him in a warm bath, sitting somewhat upright in the tub. Nursing activates something called the gastrocolic reflex, in which putting something in at the top of the digestive system gets the entire system moving and results in an increased urge to move something out at the bottom; it's why we adults often need to poop after eating a meal. The upright position puts baby in just the right position for pooping- thank you, gravity!- and the warm water may relax him enough to open up those sphincters and let a poop go.

ETA: is baby getting any vitamin supplements in addition to breastmilk? Sometimes those can have a constipating effect.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was told by several moms to stimulate poop by inserting a cutip with Vaseline no further than the cotton in the rectum. It works and he shws relief immediately. It's definitely not just wind. He always always has poop.

I def don't want him dependant. I do the nursing as a stimulant then follow with bath, too. When I say I've tried everything, I mean I've tried everything. He screams bloody murder and cries with tears running down his face. I asked the nurse and she said she doesn't usually see that much drama unless poop is solid. No, he's on no supplements. I take prenatals with DHA and fenugreek for milk production.

Is he happy otherwise (when not pooping)? Could he be intolerant to something you're eating? I read somewhere that some baby is sensitive to fenugreek. Some moms claim baby is fine again when they cut off certain things (be it dairy, gluten, etc) from their diet. I don't have personal experience on elimination diet, but you can bring it up with your doctor and ask for professional opinion.

It does sound like you are trying many things! And it is really rough to watch your little one struggle. I would say that my little one became much less troubled by the inner workings of her digestive system around 3-4 months, and I think this is true for many babies, so I am hopeful that time may be a cure for you as well.

With all digestive things, for me and my little one, being carried upright seemed to help a lot. Since you aren't working outside the home, is it possible to find a carrier or sling you like, and keep him in it almost all the time that you're awake? I believe I read an anecdote- I think in Our Babies, Ourselves- that in cultures where babies are carried nearly all day long, babies aren't even burped because they don't need to be.

I actually have a "Snugli" that I use a lot when I'm cleaning. Usually the only time I'm not holding him is when he's asleep (when I'm not rockin him in the glider chair while he sleeps on my chest/shoulder) or when he's playing in his bouncy, on his jungle play mat, during tummy time, or the other play station in his pack n play. His attention span is that of mine so the play sessions on his back last between 15-20 mins, usually. I hate seeing him hurt. I can tell when it's a pain cry or just pick me up cry. In the past few nights he's actually been waking up periodically crying. Now, this Im not completely sure this is related, but he DOES draw his legs up during this "fit". We co-sleep. Shocker, right? Lol

He's an extremely happy baby. Smiles constantly and plays all the time. It's only when he tries to poop that he screams like that. It's just so hard to see hm in obvious discomfort. I cut out all dairy except one serving for ceral in the am. I'm pretty basic on my diet. I don't THINK anythign I eat could be causing it. It seems like the "sensor", for lack of better description, to release the bowel movement isn't quite clicking with his brain and belly. It just seems like everything knows he has to go but the "sensor" to let go. If that makes sense....

If his stool looks normal, he's gaining weight, and happy otherwise, then I guess you can just wait and see if he learns to poop normally by himself... Any new advice from your pediatrician?