Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rambling

Default Rambling

I'm having a few questions. Hoping I can get some help.
    JR is now almost 6 months old and teething :/. He has always clamped down on my nipples
    but now he does it every feeding. I've tried to pull him away from my breast and say "no". but that isn't working.

He is now on solids, from cereal to fruits and veggies. He still wakes up every 1-2 hours at night and I'm beginning to think ill never sleep again.

He refuses a bottle and paci and seems to always wanna be at my breast. I know he is getting enough to eat as he is currently 18.5lbs and 27in. He is a big boy!

I feel as though I'm a human pacifier. And im needing to take more milk plus pills to keep up with this high demand.

any suggestions will help.

thanks.

Momma of 2!

Jadyn 8/29/05 BF for 4 months!

J.R 9/16/2011 BF 6 months and counting!

In Love with my high school sweetheart since 03/15/2003

Default Re: Rambling

Congrats on making it to 6 months! That's a great achievement.

Clamping down: when you say baby has always done this I have to wonder if he is using clamping down on the nipple to control a rapid letdown of milk. If so, the way to fix this is generally to a) adopt reclined nursing positions, enlisting gravity to slow milk flow, and b) to control oversupply, if that is a problem for you. However, if the clamping tends to happen not during letdowns but towards the end of a feeding, the best way to fix it is to a) identify when baby has transitioned from feeding actively to sucking passively for comfort and take him off the breast before he can nip (a baby who is feeding actively generally cannot bite), and b) to calmly and consistently remove baby from the breast and end the feeding every time there is a bite.

Sleep: he's teething. Forget it. There's nothing you can do to fix this, because you can't hurry the teething process. Unfortunately! But if it gets really bad, try some Tylenol before bed. And if you haven't read Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", I highly recommend it. It's a realistic primer on infant sleep, and it has some gentle techniques for encouraging more independent sleep.

Not taking a bottle or paci: job well done, mama! As time goes on, you're going to hear moms complaining about how hard it is to get their kids to give up the bottle or give up the Nuk. (My neighbor's kid was 4 and still had pacis- he had them stashed all over the house like a little alcoholic.) The high demand you're experiencing now is probably a byproduct of teething, and perhaps a growth spurt as well. There's a big one around 6 months.

Is there a reason why you feel like you have to take supplements in order to keep up with your baby? In general, all that is required is for a mom to nurse on demand. A lot of moms mistake the following for inadequate supply:
    - diminished/vanished leaking, engorgement, or feelings of fullness
    - lower pumping output
    - fussy baby
    - baby who suddenly increases nursing frequency
    - baby does not sleep through the night or stops sleeping through the night
    - baby's weight gain slows
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Rambling

I've been taking the supplements since my son was about 3months old, for some reason my supply went extremely low and I wasn't able
    to have enough to feed him it seemed. I stopped taking them for awhile and again the same thing.

I do however have a strong letdown but he will latch on and off and clamp down through out the whole feeding..its getting so bad now that he is teething that my nipples are turning white, it hurts worse than my battles with thrush :/

I've noticed a change in his sleep pattern these past days and now no he is going threw a growth spurt.

Momma of 2!

Jadyn 8/29/05 BF for 4 months!

J.R 9/16/2011 BF 6 months and counting!

In Love with my high school sweetheart since 03/15/2003