Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding bigger babies

Default Holding bigger babies

Now that my son is packing on the weight, I'm finding it harder and harder to comfortably hold him in cradle or football holds. He doesn't have neck control yet, so trying to hold him stomach to stomach with him sitting up doesn't work, either. Any ideas?
    Joanie, SAH Mama to Rose (3 yo), Elijah (1 yo) and Teddy (born 2/18/12)

Default Re: Holding bigger babies

I did a lot of side laying for the first few months, or sitting cross legged on the floor so my legs could assist. On a positive note IME bigger babies have neck control sooner.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Pillows, and plenty of 'em. And stuff a couple extra blankets into your diaper bag to create an ad hoc on-the-go nursing pillow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep, my arm goes numb if I try to cradle hold without support for too long. I use a boppy or other pillows for support under her body, and angle my arm under her head. I also curl one leg up behind her body too (if I'm sitting up or reclining).

Tummy to tummy should work fine if you do a laid back position rather then trying to sit bolt upright. Remember it does not have to be WAY back. Play around and find what amount of laid back will be comfortable for you and will work in various situations. My second was like this it was as if he went from newborn size to about 4 month size before he was a month old! And kudos for noticing your baby is too big for these typical newborn positions. Babies need room to drink effectively and latch comfortably and lots of mom who experience latch pain later on it is due to still cradling baby so their chin is too tucked.
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

The BrestFriend Nursing Pillow was my savior from newborn to a year.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Lay down
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree. Laying down or using a pillow is the way to go!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    The BrestFriend Nursing Pillow was my savior from newborn to a year.
    YESSSSSS!! Although I use the brestfriend for twins, still using it and my girls are over 10 months old.
    I hated the boppy-would never stay in place.
    While I agree with side-laying, this is fantastic for night feedings, getting a good pillow(s) will help tremendously for cradle/football holds.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I find that laying back tummy to tummy doesn't work for us. I sort of sit her on one side and then let her lay back into the crook of my arm. I then use a pillow or the arm of the couch to help support that arm. (My little girl was born 1-22 and is weighing about 12 pounds.) I've also just recently (yesterday) found that using the moby wrap while nursing helps support her, I'm still learning how to use it, but it may be worth a shot. YouTube actually has moms showing different ways to use the moby while nursing. (I found the best deals at the Moby Wrap website or at Wal-Mart).

Hope you find the way that works best for you!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still