Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast as a pacifier need advice

Default breast as a pacifier need advice

My son is 7 weeks old and does not use a pacifier. My 4 yr old used one and we had a very hard time breaking him of it. I did not breastfeed my older but am with my newborn. I feel like he is using my breast as a pacifier and just wanted to know if that is normal. Half the time I dont feel like he is even eating just sucking to suck. He is very fussy and only seems to not be when he is at my breast. He wont even stay asleep if i lay him down. I have literally sat on the couch for two weeks it feels like. I just need some advice. I dont know that I can keep it up. My nipples are swollen and bruised.

Default Re: breast as a pacifier need advice

Most of us (maybe even all of us) here have been there done that. Sounds pretty normal. Perhaps you could try wearing him in a wrap or sling? That way he could nurse or comfort nurse or nap while you have the freedom to move around the house. I remember those days, and sometimes I really miss them, it will get better before you know it.

If your nipples are getting sore, the latch is off. Even comfort sucking all the time should not make you that sore.

But...the age is prime for a growth spurt.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If your nipples are getting sore, the latch is off. Even comfort sucking all the time should not make you that sore.

But...the age is prime for a growth spurt.
    . With a perfect latch you can nurse pretty much all day long and never get sore. So it sounds like something might be a little off in that department. How's diaper output and weight gain? If that's okay the latch is effective at transferring milk and all you need to do is work on the fine points of making it more comfortable for you.

Don't worry about baby "using the breast as a pacifier". That is totally normal behavior, and since the breast existed long before the Nuk, the truth is that when a baby uses a pacifier, he is using it like he should be using a breast. . It's also totally normal for a baby to not want to be put down, ever, which is why slings were invented!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't worry about baby "using the breast as a pacifier". That is totally normal behavior, and since the breast existed long before the Nuk, the truth is that when a baby uses a pacifier, he is using it like he should be using a breast.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Yep. Been there! Once I got the latch fixed, it got much easier. Stick with it. It will get better!
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

My first was bottle fed and had a pacifer, while my second was bottle fed and had no use of a binky. This time around I am breastfeeding and there are times when I feel like she is using me as a pacifer. But it doestn' usually hurt, unless she is pulling away with it I have pain about 1/3 or less of the time when she first latchs. But I have been told repeatedly that any pain at all is not normal. I got in touch with an IBCLC and a peer supporter and found most issues got better. Maybe you could try talking with someone.

Hope everything gets better!
    Last edited by @llli*sugarfoot289; March 9th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.