Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work in 1 month&not eating

Default Going back to work in 1 month&not eating

Hello everyone,
    I am a mother of an eight month old beatiful girl. I am going back to work in one month. For about two months ago I started offering her some solid food but she is not interested. She loves to be breastfed. I pumped but she doesn't want it either. We hired a nanny and she will take care of her when I am gone. She started this week and she is also stressed that she doesn't eat. I wonder what will happen when I am gone next month? Do you have any experience? Do you have any recommendation? Please help me I am so desperate.

Default Re: Going back to work in 1 month&not ea

It's very common for a baby to refuse a bottle when mom is around. Have you gone out and let the nanny try then? Have you tried different bottles? Some babies have a bottle preference. Don't worry, it may be a transition but she will eat eventually.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I tried different bottles but it doesn't work. The nanny strated 3 days ago so it is not much time. I will be gone for a cpouple of hours and she will try to give bottle again. When it comes to solid food I have been trying for almost 4 months. She doesn't like it. What she does is grabing the food and sucking the juice and spitting the rest I believe this is also something. But if everything goes the same what will happen when I start working in a month? I wonder if someone had this problem and how things work? Thank for all the advices.

When I went back to work with my daughter, she was 6 months old and not on any solids at all. I was only gone for 3 hours but it took my husband about a week and 3 bottles to get my daughter to eat. Which was strange because she was exclusively bottle fed for the first 2 months of her life (she was a preemie and took a long time to latch). Babies have a preference for sure. The nanny could try cup feeding, syringe feeding and my daughters favorite was Nuby bottles. Some babies like you to mimic nursing while others are offended by it. Unfortunately, she just has to try a lot of different things and you can't have much to do with it. You certainly can't be around for it either. I would start with Nuby cups - soft nipple. Then I might try cup feeding. Don't stress on the solids. Your milk is still her main source of nutrition until she is at least a year old. Solids are purely for experimentation at this point. My son only started really using solids as part of his nutrition at around 13-14 months old. And my daughter it was more like 16 months old.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I would not stress about the solids part. Your daughter is still young. Yes many people, doctors, tell us to start solids at 4-6 months. But that doesn't mean that your daughter was/is ready.

Have your nanny give your daughter a bottle daily until you go back to work, when you are not around, and pump during that time to get a freezer stash for your return to work. It may take a few times and you may have to experiment with different bottles and nipples. Don't invest a lot until you find something that works, then buy a few.

Regarding solids, it is for experimentation at this age, not for nutritional value. Your daughters nutrients/calories come from breastmilk. have you considered baby led solids? There are many threads on here where you can learn more.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thanks for all the advices. What I observed since I started solids is that she doesn't like to be fed by a spoon. She likes to grap the food. She doesn't eat the whole thing yet but she sucks it. I think baby led solids will work for us. But the problem is we don't have that much time. I will try to find out HER way to give my milk when I am not around. Thanks all the mothers.