Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grazing/sleepy baby

Default grazing/sleepy baby

I just want to start off by saying thanks to all of those who have replied to all of my posts. Breastfeeding has been one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life and it is great to have so much support.

During the day my little guy seems to be grazing during feedings. He will only nurse about 5 minutes on each side...he falls asleep so easliy and I cant do anything to wake him up. Sometimes I lay him down after he falls asleep, he wakes up and then we try again but then falls a sleep almost after 5 sucks. I am beginning to worry he is not getting enough during the day. He always has wet diapers but he didn't have a bowel movement yesterday.

I also feel like a horrible mother because sometimes I can't tell if he is hungry or just being fussy. If he has a short feeding and then is fussy 30 minutes later I feel like he is hungry again and try feeding him but then only feeds for maybe 3-4 minutes and I can't get him to latch again.

Any advice would be great!

Default Re: grazing/sleepy baby

How old is your baby? After about 6 weeks my DD began going longer btw poops.....a few times she has even gone 4 days. At 10 wks she weighed 14 lbs so she was definitely eating enough. It is normal after 6 weeks to go up to 8 days in between because they absorb so much of what they take in. I would not focus so much on the messy diapers at this point, just as long as she is having plenty of wets and seems content between feedings.

Also, babies become very efficient eaters. It is not uncommon for some of them to finish in 5min and only take one breast.

he is 4 weeks old ...so maybe a little early to skip bm?

the baby's age makes all the difference here. Newborn falls asleep after 5 sucks and isn't pooping enough? Could be trouble. Baby who is older, say 3-6 weeks? Probably okay, but watch diapers. Older baby, say 6+ weeks who has been consistently gaining enough? Fine, don't worry about it (but watch diaper output).

Don't worry about jot always being able to read baby's cues. Sometimes baby doesn't know why he's fussy, either, and he nurses because hey, why not?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also feel like a horrible mother because sometimes I can't tell if he is hungry or just being fussy.
    This is pretty universal so there must be an awful lot of horrible mothers out there! Just remember it never hurts to nurse, or in any case, to offer to nurse. You can not overfeed a breastfed baby. Nor can you spoil a baby. And in these early weeks it is vitally important baby nurses frequently. If nursing does not work, try other techniques for soothing and then try nursing later. Sometimes baby wants to nurse but is too fussy right at that moment to do so.

some tips: waking sleepy baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf
    feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf
    fussy baby ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf
    diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

If your baby is not pooping a minimum of 3 poops a day as described in the diaper log above, and you cannot increase either the frequency or effectiveness of nursing, then weight may need to be checked and nursing may need to be assessed by someone who can help you if there are any issues, like a IBCLC.

he usually has just has one big bowel movement a day. I am beginning to think he is not getting enough He weighed 6 14 at birth and weighed 8 10 at his 1 month check up on tuesday. I told the doctor he only has one BM a day and she said that was fine and all babies are different.

Last week he skipped a bowel movement and yesterday he skipped a bowel movement. I am starting to get frustrated and wanting to give up.

Starting at 4 weeks, my lo starting skipping bowel movements every once while. As long as they don't come out hard or green, it is normal for bf babies. Green poops could mean he is dehydrated and not getting enough. Hard means he'sconstipated. Also, if he's having pain with bm see pedi. My lo does cluster feeding like that at least once a day.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

If it makes you feel any better, that weight gain in one month is about a pound more than my son gained (he went from 7lb4oz to 8lb6oz at his one month) Our doctor said that was fine and perfectly appropriate for a breastfed baby, and that he was right on his growth curve.

I think one of the things that you're going through is just some anxiety about the unknown - I have that all the time and am super paranoid about him not getting enough (especially since he's very much on the low end of the charts for weight) - but if your doctor isn't worried, you need to give yourself a break Since there's no guage on boobs, there's no way to measure other than weight and growth. As far as that goes, though, it sounds like he's doing OK to me, and if the pediatrician isn't worried, I'm not sure you should be unless you have a reason that you don't trust the doctor...

I will say you might want to try some compressions - if he's eating that way because of slow flow it might help (it's helped us a bit with that issue)

I usually have high anxiety and I always worry so breastfeeding is tough for me because not knowing how much he is getting is very difficult for me. I just called the nurses station at the doctors office and told them he only nurses for a total of 8-10 minutes and skipped a BM yesterday and she said he needs more so of course I am freaking out.

She told me to try every hour..i just did and he wasnt having it. I guess I will try again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrskimm View Post
    he usually has just has one big bowel movement a day. I am beginning to think he is not getting enough He weighed 6 14 at birth and weighed 8 10 at his 1 month check up on tuesday. I told the doctor he only has one BM a day and she said that was fine and all babies are different.

Last week he skipped a bowel movement and yesterday he skipped a bowel movement. I am starting to get frustrated and wanting to give up.
    You should really be looking at the discharge weight and not the birth weight. It sounds to me that he did gain plenty. It takes about 10-14 days for a baby to gain birth weight which would make it about a pound a week for your little one after that! (roughly). Also, the BM skipping, trust me I went through that recently too. Almost since week 4 he would skip a BM every other day, but still kept on gaining a lot of weight. If on the other hand the baby was formula fed this would be cause for alarm, but breastfed is ok Sometimes my son went 4 days without a BM (maybe 2 times in total and he's almost 7 months now). My first son was just like your son. He just LOVED sleeping at boobie. He would suck a bit and sleep. Such a lazy baby I didn't mind it since I didn't have another child to run after and I didn't mind sitting with him (or sleeping). As long as he gained weight I knew we were both doing fine. I went for a weight check once a week for the first 16lbs (just liked to see if we could top our weight gain amounts).
    Anyway, do not give up. You are doing great. Your baby is gaining and just because you have a lazy baby that gains weight I don't see a reason to give up breastfeeding. The other side of the fence does not have greener grass Wait another month and you will see that he gains weight nicely and is doing great!