Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to pump and dump?

Default How long to pump and dump?

So I'm going to be back hitting the gym soon. I had issues with my first two kids when I went back to the gym, they both would refuse the breast when I tried to BF them afterwards, even if I showered (to rule out issues with sweat). It was one of the plethora of reasons why I stopped BFing at 10 weeks with each of them.

Things are going AWESOME with #3 though. I have no intention of stopping at 10 weeks anymore. So in order to avoid any lactic acid issues in my BM this time around, I'm going to pump and dump after working out hard. I'm just wondering how long I should do it. For a set amount of hours? A regular feeding or two?

Also, I'll be going out for a girls night here in a few weeks. On the agenda is a few margaritas! I of course don't want to give baby any alcohol in my BM, so I know I'll have to pump and dump that too afterwards. Any suggestions on how long? I don't plan on getting schnockered, maybe 3 or 4 drinks max over a span of about 3 or 4 hours.

Thank you!

Default Re: How long to pump and dump?

You don't have to pump and dump. Maybe just nurse your baby right before you work out and then a few hours later. As for going out with the girls, the only reason you would need to pump would be if your baby was going to get a bottle while you are gone. If so, then by all means pump and dump for your supply. Otherwise, just let your body clear out the alcohol, it leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your body.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    You don't have to pump and dump. Maybe just nurse your baby right before you work out and then a few hours later. As for going out with the girls, the only reason you would need to pump would be if your baby was going to get a bottle while you are gone. If so, then by all means pump and dump for your supply. Otherwise, just let your body clear out the alcohol, it leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your body.

And don't assume that your new baby will object to the taste of post-exercise milk. Every baby is different!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a idea that it probably isn't taste with your exercise, but rather could be harder for them to get the milk out after you exercise. Drink water, lots and lots of water! Stay hydrated. You dehydrate sometimes during exercise, and your body just won't produce as much milk when you are dehydrated. What I found when I EPed (exclusively pumped) I had to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes after exercising making sure to drink plenty of water to get my volume back up to normal. The best way I found was to pump (in your case breastfeed!) right before exercise, and that way the next pumping (in your case breastfeeding) session was the longest time away. If you know a certain longer jag that your baby will go during the day between feeds, choose that time. IE if they take a 4 hour nap at some point during the day instead of the usual 2, that's when to schedule your exercise, right after that feed, exercise your brains out, and then drink, drink, and drink more water, if you can drink something with electrolytes or hydrating properties then that may even be better! Then your volume will be back up, by next feeding and they will be happy and not frustrated that very little to nothing is coming out.

Also remember it's not all or nothing....just cause they are fussy for a little while, just keep on offering the breast, they will get used to things with time, I have noticed for my babies it usually takes a full 7 days for them to get used to something new I want them to do.

I also wouldn't pump and dump for a few drinks, as long as you don't feel tipsy or drunk, there is no reason not to give your milk to the baby.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~