Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rejecting Breast-Very Disheartened

Default Rejecting Breast-Very Disheartened

My 7 week old has suddenly started screaming when my breast goes anywhere near her to feed. i resently introduced the bottle as well to her feeding ie. 10min each breast n 10min bottle/50ml.Wonder if that has anything to do with it? i would love to continue breastfeeding.Her reaction to the breast is shocking in her screams.she actually looses breath screaming. Pls advise how to get her back on

Default Re: Rejecting Breast-Very Disheartened

Excellent list of things to try: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Meanwhile, pump to keep your supply. For every missed feeding, pump.

Ad stop the bottle. Feed an alternative way. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If very well could be caused by the introduction of bottles or that could be a contributing factor anyway. This age would generally be thought to be OK for the introduction of an occasional bottle or bottles just for separations (like mom back to work) but a bottle every feeding is different and is a recipe to cause issues. Why did you introduce bottles, was baby not getting enough at the breast?

I would suggest
    1) eliminate bottles, if at all possible. If baby requires supplementation that can be done without a bottle. Or there is a way to give a bottle that may cause fewer issues. Please let us know why you introduced bottles and we can help you work through that.
    2) use the suggestions in this article for gently encouraging baby to nurse. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    3) If you are sceduling feedings, stop, and go back to cue feeding. If it seems to you baby does not cue enough, you can offer more feeings as much as you like. But don't pressure baby to nurse.
    4) Is your flow to fast? Too slow? If too fast, the signs are described here plus what can be done: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    If too slow, try instant reward techniques described in the above baby back to breast article and/or breast compressions.

MOST IMPORTANT: Your baby is not rejecting YOU. Babies have an instinctual biological imperitive to nurse at the breast. No baby in the world "prefers" a bottle over momma's wonderful warm breast. This type of behavior, if it is due to bottles, is likely casued by something called "flow confusion" and has nothing to do with a baby prefering milk in a bottle. If it is caused by something else, that is usually fixable and baby will be back to nursing again happily in no time.

You've gotten some great advice. Keep at it, don't give up! Let us know how things are going!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I agree with meg. Also consider possible changes in when you nurse. Is there something that has changed from your routine? A smell, a taste (something new you are eating), or outside factors like pets or house smells. Examine your surroundings completely. See if she's possibly reacting to something else that's distracting her and try tochamge or remove whatever it could be. GL!

Thanks for all the advice.
    My baby was crying incesently so i took her to the paed who said she wasnt gaining enough weight and suggested this new routine of a supplemented bottle at every feed as i was posibly not producing enough milk and hence she wasnt gaining required amount. I had no idea something like this could happen because of it. dr didnt tell me. this is my first baby n im quite clueless it seems!

i am not on meds to encourage milk supply my flow seems fine.

Leader pls elaborate on your point 1).

Pls tell me if its posb to get my baby back to nursing happily?

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My baby was crying incesently so i took her to the paed who said she wasnt gaining enough weight and suggested this new routine of a supplemented bottle at every feed as i was posibly not producing enough milk and hence she wasnt gaining required amount. I had no idea something like this could happen because of it. dr didnt tell me. this is my first baby n im quite clueless it seems!
    A baby will not gain well if 1) baby is not being fed often enough 2) baby is unable to extract milk from the breast effectively (this is called milk transfer) or 3) mom has low supply. Or some combination of those.

rarely a baby can be getting plenty of milk and still not gain well due to medical issues, but then that is a medical issue and not a feeding issue.

Also supplementing is often suggested even when NOT necessary. And often it is needed only temporarily but no one tells mom that.

Even when supplementing may be appropriate, it is vital you figure out WHY your baby is not getting enough milk so you can solve that issue. (I know your doctor said you do not make enough milk but I am curious what he is basing that diagnoses on, and also why you were not told about the very many ways a mom can increase her milk supply should that be the issue.) There is always a reason a baby is not getting enough and hence usually a solution, and often the solution need not be supplementing or continuing supplementing, although in some cases that is needed. Unfortunatley many doctors are more interested in having baby gain at a certain pace then in helping moms breastfeed, when of copurse the should be concerned about both breastfeeding and appropriate weight gain and overall health. If your doctor cannot help with breastfeeding, can you see a IBCLC or contact your local LLL? Or give us a weight history, output history and nursing frequency history and we can try to help figure out what is going on.

Alternatives to bottles-best for avoiding breast refusal and often suggested if the issue is low supply would be an at the breast supplemental feeder (lactation aid) such as the Lact-aid or the Medela SNS. Other options are cup feeding, spoon feeding, syringe feeding. If none of those work for you can try paced bottle feeding, described here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

This page has a video of cup feeding, and also one of using a lactation aid. Also breast compressions which can help baby get more a the breast. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 8th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.