Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow Flow at Night? Tips?

Default Slow Flow at Night? Tips?

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is or if it's a problem at all - I've found some great information online but was wondering if there's anything else I could do about it... basically, my son nurses easily and quickly in the morning, and seems to be satisfied very easily (of course, at that time of day I'm generally very full and letdowns are fast and forceful so he probably barely needs to do anything). But as it gets later in the day, he starts wanting to eat much more frequently, but can alternately be fussy or falling asleep at the breast, and will literally do what I've dubbed the "feedathon" from about 5:30 pm until bedtime (9)

He's about 11 weeks, and to complicate matters I returned to work this week - I am pumping somewhat successfully (waiting on some different sized parts which I think will make it all more comfortable and efficient), and he's now getting bottled milk during the day. He's also sleeping through the night, and to keep supply up I've been getting up for a pumping session in the middle of the night (then again very early in the morning before I go to work). As I'm getting about 4 oz with each pumping I assume my supply is probably more than fine and the stuff at night is just related to slow flow, or it's just his pattern to ramp up his eating as he approaches night-time.

I've started doing compressions during these evening feedings based on info from kellymom and the Jack Newman site, and there seems to be some improvement (he's staying awake longer during feedings at night and going a little longer in between - maybe 30-40 minutes instead of showing hunger cues 15-20 minutes later). Is there anything else I should consider or should I just accept that this is just how it is right now?

I'm not super-stressed out about the feedings themselves (I LOVE snuggling on the couch with him!), but it does tire me out and make nights a little more hectic, as I have trouble getting things ready for the next day (pump parts washed, bottles washed and set up for the next day, any baby laundry that needs doing, etc) until after he goes to sleep, and since I'm up at 4:30 for work I'm starting to get sleep deprived. I feel like if I could offer him a more satisfying session I'd at least get some of this stuff done a bit earlier so I could get more sleep at night.

Any ideas? Sorry about the long windedness, I ramble when I'm sleepy.

Default Re: Slow Flow at Night? Tips?

It sounds pretty normal to me (as far as the evening fussies) and it sounds like you're doing everything just right! Is there any way you can streamline the pump parts/bottle washing process to make that easier on yourself? Some ideas might be to pump directly into the bottles you use to feed, if possible? That way you're not double-washing. I used to use my dishwasher to wash bottles and pump parts (in one of those little basket thingies) - it had a sterilization setting. I think it's good that for right now you are pumping in the middle of the night since he is sleeping through, because that gives you extra milk and helps with supply, but as you get more into a routine with work and he gets a little older you may be able to drop that session. Just some thoughts but others may have more/different ideas... Keep up the great work! You're doing a great job and this time seems really hard now but I promise it will go by fast
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Slow Flow at Night? Tips?

I think my issue with Doing All The Things (washing parts and bottles) is more my OCD than anything. It does make sense just to use the pumping bottles, but the back of my mind says I bought all those fancy glass bottles with their air control valves and extra parts and therefore MUST use them. I guess that's exactly what baby supply companies want, huh?