Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Most efficient way to store pump parts?

Default Most efficient way to store pump parts?

I have a 5 week old, who has been formula fed since 1 week... Long story short, breastfeeding makes me depressed and I called it quits early on, because I suffered for several weeks while trying to keep up with breastfeeding my first baby - it was more important for me to be happy and enjoy my new baby this time around, knowing what I missed out on with my first.

Well now I'm feeling a lot more positive about breastfeeding and I want to give it a go again. I'd really like to pump and give bottles at this point, only goal is to get SOME breastmilk into baby, but I'd like to get up to 2-3oz per pumping session again, if I can!!!

I have rented a Medela Symphony and pumped for the first time earlier, it's about time to do it again. I just wanted to know if anyone has tips on how to store the breastpump parts, that make it most efficient for someone who is pumping every couple of hours. Maybe a tupperware tub for the parts and stick them in the fridge?? Or leave them out and wash every other time? Just trying to decide the best way to go with this and what will make it easier on me while I'm getting into the swing of things!!

Any other tips?
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

Default Re: Most efficient way to store pump par

I exclusively pump for my fourth child, a cleft baby. I just stand it all in the fridge as is. But it is also safe for it to stand out, and I sometimes did that, or if I got done and someone distracted me (imagine that) then I didn't freak out if the milk was standing there an hour or two later. Or longer.

I wash once a day. And by that, I mean every 24 hours. Although there was one point where I pumped with one set all day and switched to clean ones at night, then used those ones all night, then switched again in the morning, but I was washing a lot of bottles too at the time, so it wasn't a big deal.

The pumping is a drag, but you can do this. There is a mama here who went from virtually nothing to producing her baby's full daily intake!

And try nursing baby again. It is WAY less work than pumping will be forever, but breastfeeding eventually becomes easy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Most efficient way to store pump par

Thank you! I actually got her latched and have been putting her to the breast before feeding her. She is being VERY patient (is usually impatient for her bottle, but she will latch for several minutes and stay on there...swallows a little bit (more than I expected) but not a bunch). I also got a ring sling, so I can wear her and keep her latched for longer periods (if she'll go for it) and still get on with stuff.
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)