Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing when you are sick

Default Supplementing when you are sick

I am extremely ill and having af at the same time dd appears to be having a growth spurt (she'll be 3 months on Monday). I cannot keep up with her since I am so sick usually I have plenty and have to unlatch during letdown to avoid choking her. Could I give her a couple ounces ebm tonight to see if it helps? She wants to nurse continuously and I can't side lying nurse her and sleep because I am so contested. I just need a few hours of sleep to feel a little bit better and I think more milk would help her. Thoughts?
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Default Re: Supplementing when you are sick

Ideally, you tough it out and nurse. Even if you feel empty, your baby will be able to get a meal provided she nurses frequently enough and works hard enough at the breast. Skip those frequent, intense sessions because you've supplemented, and your body may take that as a sign that it can relax and reduce production.

If you're just going to do this once, it's probably okay. But don't get snookered into doing it every night, or you will probably end up with supply problems at that time of day.

Sorry you're sick, mama! Try to stay hydrated and rest as much as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah I think I may just do 2 oz tonight. However she has not been introduced to the bottle yet so may not work
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I would try to nurse it out if possible, and see if you can get some help...is there someone that can take the baby when she's not eating so you can sleep/rest? Hubby, mom?

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I hate it when this happens I got something flu-like when Colton was 7 weeks old -- I remember because I was scared he would get it. I was stuffed up, hacking a lung up and vomiting I set up a bunch of pillows to prop myself up on when he wasn't nursing, so my head could drain. I think I even applied breastmilk to my congestion so I could breathe. Hang in there. Being a mom to a newborn is hard, and it's even harder when you feel crummy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!