Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milk supply

Default milk supply

hello,

I am going back to work in a couple of weeks and I would like to start pumping/storing. When I pump right after my little guy eats I can't produce anything but if I wait about 30 minutes I usually can produce an ounce on each side of a little less. Is this normal? How do I increase my milk supply. I want to avoind supplementing but having to pump 4 times a day to get a bottle is getting exhausting.

I also have a bachlorette party to attend in about a week and was wondering if I should pump while I am away from my little guy. It is an all day thing..not sure how long I will stay though. Also if I have a couple of drinks how long do I have to wait until the drinks are out of my system?

Thanks!

Default Re: milk supply

Don't really have an answer for all your question because I don't drink now to avoid having to pump and dump. And i would assume what you are pumping now is normal--but I really don't know. But DEFINITELY pump while away.... Engorgement sucks... I went away with my lo the other week and you obviously can't bf in the car and I'm not comfortable bfing in public yet and I was FULL even missing one feeding.... And it was a mess and hurt and my lo did NOT like it. I wish I would of brought my pump and pumped in the car on e way there and back to help with this. I would pump on his normal feeding intervals... Ie. Every three hours etc. Engorgement will ruin your day!
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

I avoid drinking as well but this is one of my best friends party and I wouldn't mind enjoying a couple of drinks with all my good friends If it is not an option than I guess I will just avoid it. So I guess I will bring my pump to the party...wow how times have changed.. but I wouldnt change it for the world

There's no need for pumping and dumping. I wouldn't get drunk, but you can safely have one or two drinks. http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

The amount you are pumping is normal given the fact that you are nursing full time at home. You'll pump more when you're gone at work because your son won't be nursing. The general guidelines are that you need to leave 1-1.5 oz of expressed breastmilk for every hour you are gone from your child.

I would pump if I was going to be gone for a party at that age. You want to pump everytime your son would eat from a bottle. I never made my daughter's bottles larger than 4 oz of milk. Usually they were closer to 2.5-3 oz. Here's another useful link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

I found this. Read it. Kellymom.com is considered to give good guidelines/advice. After reading this, I would say, drink lightly, pump and buy alcohol test strips, dump the bm that is considered over the acceptable limit by the test strip container. Make sure you either have access to a fridge to store bm, or a good cooler and ice packs, or you may have to dump if it stays out to long--- to you if you want to do that or not. Also, suggested to have a cooler and ice pack for you shield parts, so you can store there between pumps without having to wash... Or there are disposable breast pump wipes.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Pumping is not as efficient as the baby so pumping 1 oz especially so soon after baby nursing is normal. You can increase your supply by pumping more often. They say u can take fenugreek and mothers milk tea but these supplements don't work for everyone. Pumping a lot usually does the trick. As for alcohol I always stay away but having one or two drinks is fine. I hate pumping and dumping. There are test strips you could buy to test the milk and definitely take your pump. Being engorged is not fun and it lowers your supply. You need to keep the routine up either baby or pump to continue to produce milk. I know pumping is exhausting. I hate it but unfortunately after baby that's the next best thing. HTH!

I usually wait to pump a half an hour after he gets done nursing..but he seems fussier during the feedings..like he still may be hungry. Could I be affecting how much he is getting while nursing because I am pumping?

Should I only have one let down during a pumping session?

If you really empty the breast, you could be making the flow slower at the next feeding and that can make baby fussy. But don't think of this as a big deal- baby will still get fed, he's just going to have to work a little harder to get a full meal. And that hard work is valuable, since lots of intense suckling is great for building supply.

S to how many letdowns you "should" have during a feeding, it depends. Some moms can easily generate multiple letdowns when pumping, others get just 1-2. If your supply is well-matched to baby's needs, 1-2 letdowns is very normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok....so will I always have milk for him? It just seems like he is still unhappy after I feed him. I guess I worry that I don't have any milk for him.

Yes, as long as you nurse on demand, and are not pregnant or taking hormonal birth control which negatively impacts your supply, you will always have milk for your LO. The breast is always making milk, and the emptier it gets the faster milk is made. If baby is fussy after feeding, just keep switching him back and forth from breast to breast. Eventually he will get a full meal or get enough comfort sucking to make him calm down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"