Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively pump and oversupply

Default Exclusively pump and oversupply

I am currently exclusively pumping for the second time. With my first daughter, I pumped 80+ oz. per day at my peak. My newborn is just over three weeks old and I am already pumping 80+ oz. a day. I pump 5 times a day for 15 minutes with my Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I just can't keep up with this, what with the storage and the breast engorgement. What can I do to reduce my supply? Everything I read online is for women who breastfeed and does not help an exclusive pumper!!

Help!

Default Re: Exclusively pump and oversupply

you are only 3 weeks in, if you plan on continueing to EP and NOT breastfeed, personally I would not do anything about it, till you are at least 2 months in....right now it's still being hormone driven, and you don't want to hurt your supply for eping, it's almost impossible to get it back up, and more then likely in 2 to 3 months it will go down on it's own with out you doing a thing about it.

Other then that you could try to just nurse, and not pump and that would help get you leveled out to your DD's needs eventually...is there a reason you are eping?

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

What she said.

I have a huge OS, and I used it to my advantage and stored a lot of milk that I am using now and am able to pump just twice a day and provide all the milk my cleft baby needs.

EPing is MUCH MUCH harder when you have a second kid. if you can nurse, I highly suggest it. It will make your life easier in the long run. You have two EPer's telling you this

ETA: the reason you can't find anything about OS and EPing online is because the rules are different when you pump versus nurse. At 6 weeks, a breastfeeding mom can let baby call the shots. An EPer has to still pump 8-12 times a day for a total of 120 minutes a day for 12 weeks or risk long term damage to her supply, something she might not realize has happened for months. I suspect this is why many, many EPer moms don't make it as long as they could. They see the OS and back off too soon, which decreases prolactin receptors and leads to decreased production early.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I ep for a combine of reasons, including liking knowing how much baby is eating, having hubby help with feeding, and just plain not enjoying breastfeeding. I breastfed for about a day in the hospital and just decided I preferred the pumping. In any case I'm not planning on breastfeeding so will need to work with the OP with pumping. With my first daughter my supply didn't drop to 60ish oz until I went to 2 pumps per day, which I know I cant do yet. Thanks for your advice! I wasn't sure if I had to worry about losing too much supply but it sounds as if I might.

What they said!

Mama, would you like to nurse this baby? We'd love to help you do it! Just let us know what's going on, what challenges you're facing, and we'll do our best to help you surmount them.

Eta: just read your latest. Mama, IMO one of the dirty little secrets of breastfeeding is that very few people enjoy nursing a newborn. It's very unrewarding. Baby doesn't smile at you or reach up to touch your face. With a small baby, nursing can be rather uncomfortable because a small baby has a difficult time latching on perfectly every single time. And of course, only you can do it- you don't get help from your DH. But in the long run, I think a lot of nursing moms find that breastfeeding becomes one of their favorite things. Baby starts to give back, smiling and cooing and playing at the breast, and eventually you get all these lovely mothering benefits like being able to get your baby down for a nap just by nursing, or being able to soothe a bumped head or skinned knee. And if your baby takes a bottle, bingo, you're golden! Dad can do some feedings and you can do others without needing to do so much pumping and storing.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; March 7th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I never liked breastfeeding .... Until I lost it as a mothering tool. And now I grieve that loss. But nobody likes nursing newborns at 2 days. It hurts. It is stressful.

But it becomes way, way easier than pumping in the long run.

For example, my baby is crying because he wants ME, not Daddy, to pick him up and hold him, but I need to pump; and now that I am pumping 2 times a day, it takes me an hour each time. I know if he was nursing, if he had been able to nurse from birth. I could fix his need and take care of what I need to do right now, and we would both be happy. Instead, he is in the other room because he was inconsolable at seeing me pumping, DH is annoyed and I'm bummed.

Your supply may regulate faster second time around, so be aware of that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a huge appreciation for EPers. I EPumped yesterday and fed DS2 from a bottle (trying to figure out which bottle he would take for our nanny) and it wore me out. Having to pump, then make bottle, then wash pump, wash bottle, all while trying to entertain DS1 and DS2, what a difficult thing. Way to go to those mamas who EP!
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

FDM 11/16/11 8 lbs 15 oz, 20.25 inches EBF