Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curious to try BLS

Default Curious to try BLS

DS is just over 6 months and has tasted some solids. Till now it's been just spoon-fed purees. We skipped cereals. He doesn't eat substantial amounts by any stretch, but depending on the food, his mood, time of day, etc. he'll usually entertain at least a couple of spoons of mush and even swallow some. He smiles with banana and sweet potato and sometimes opens his mouth for the spoon so I think the timing is okay. I never push though. Once he appears to have lost interest, I stop. (Sometimes that's before he even swallows anything.)

I've been reading up on BLS and really want to try it. Could someone please just reiterate that it IS actually okay to put whole pieces of avocado / steamed sweet potato / etc. in front of my baby and let him put them in his mouth? Nothing has to be mashed? How big/small should the pieces be to avoid choking? Everything should be soft, correct?

On the one hand it seems so natural - give baby normal food. On the other hand, we're so used to seeing purees and spoons that some people say it's outlandish (or even irresponsible) to do anything but. I really want to give it a try, though. I've heard so many great things about it.

Thoughts??
    Thank you!!

Default Re: Curious to try BLS

Another Q - do I have to follow guidelines for when-to-introduce-what?
    If I'm eating eggs for breakfast, can baby try eggs even though the charts say to wait till 8 or 10 months (or whatever it is)?

Go for it! Some people start with small, soft mushy stuff- mashed steamed veggies, lightly smushed beans and peas, boiled stringy meats. And some people start with french-fry (chip, in the UK) sized pieces of food. And some people offer whole peeled fruits, and let baby experiment with lifting and tasting and licking.

As always with babies, you don't want to just let your baby have this experience unsupervised. Spoon-feeding requires mom to be right there with baby. BLS means mom can walk away, but she shouldn't! You want to be right there in case your LO starts cramming too much into his mouth.

ETA: follow all guidelines for introducing new solids. BLS doesn't mean you jump ahead with offering types of solids, particularly allergenic ones like eggs and shellfish or dangerous ones like honey. You just offer the same solids you'd see in a jar, only in a diffent form than puree.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

BLS is OK!

For my son, we did purees for way too long. We started DD1 & DD2 on a combination of BLS and purees around 7 months (or so). While we do purees for breakfast/lunch with my girls, they get BLS for dinner and also along with breakfast/lunch. I was amazed at what they could eat, without teeth. DD1 still has no teeth, DD2 is sporting 3 (but not until 8-9 months).

Ripe bananas are great. I cut in long lengths, think french fries. I also did cheerios. Cooked peas are fantastic, but take some coordination/pincher grip for them to master. Ripe avocado, pear, apple, all cut up large like french fries. After awhile you can introduce lots of different foods, textures and sizes.

Every doctor/book has different guidelines for food introduction. For isntance, my pediatrician said we could introduce nuts at any time but other doctors say not under 2. Pick a guideline you are comfortable with and follow it, regardless of purees or BLS.
    Good luck!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thanks to both of you! This is helpful.
    I put some avocado and sweet potato in front of him and we got a big mess. =) It was fun though. However I don't think he actually put anything in his mouth. I imagine it takes time??
    Do you make the Cheerios soggy or just give them as they are, out of the box?

I gave cheerios as is. I tried them before and they dissolve pretty quickly in the mouth, so i wasn't concerned.
    At this age, solids are more for exploration then calories. Tasting, chewing, playing are normal. Messy, but normal.
    I don't know what we would do without our dog-we let him clean up the crumbs after mealtime

BLS is a wonderful idea. My youngest has been on table food since about 7 months. I waited to introduce any "crunchy" foods until he had the teeth to chew it up. Avocado, sweet potatoes, bananas are all really great! Any soft fruits or veggies would work.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I guess I will take it slowly and not get discouraged if it takes him a while to actually eat. Yes, dogs are great! We have toddlers in the family, so our dog has learned to park herself nearby small people and high chairs. She cleans up nicely.

BLS has been a life-saver in our house. My son is 32 months old and difficult at dinner time. We put lots of different foods on DD1/DD2 high chair trays and they are content to feed themself the entire meal. If we did purees neither DH nor I would get to eat dinner.