Hello All! This is my first posting and I'd really appreciate any ideas or help.
I'm in the UK and Tiddler is coming up for 20 weeks, I have never been pain free when feeding - and I'm now getting very despondent. I'll try to keep the story brief...
- baby no 3 (1st BF for 2 months, 2nd BF for 9 months - so I know I can do it!)
- I was incredibly sore and in tears before I even left the hospital and I was only there one night. I called somebody at everybody feed to come and watch/check latch and everybody said it was good.
- lots of clicking through feeds. I have a super fast let down and lots of milk, and erm....am well endowed!!
- about 6 weeks mild posterior tongue tie diagnosed and snipped a week later.
- midwife who did snip said it looked like I had thrush on nipples so to get myself to GP.
- GP not very helpful, anyway came away with creams for myself & Tiddler.
- a couple of weeks later, shooting pains in right breast after some feeds (not all feeds though). I'm super worried about getting mastitis so constantly check for lumpiness, redness etc - none of that.
- back to GP who prescribed 3 week course of Fluconazole.
- no improvement so another 3 week course of Fluconazole (all while taking grapefruit seed extract and probiotics).
- pain getting worse (still only on the right but there is a crack on left) so back to another GP who looked confused and said I should have been given antibiotics with a low dose of Fluconazole for a course. She felt it was some low grade bacterial infection.
- no change after first course of ab's so now on second course of ab's.
- painkillers on and off since Christmas.
Aaaarrrgggghhhhh I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel! I WANT TO BREASTFEED!! But I don't know what to do next.
Tiddler is nearly 20 weeks, I am still in pain although I think now it's a pain I am just used to. My nipples are tender but don't have the typical thrush look. I'm fairly certain this is not mastitis. I'm not sure it's thrush. I've had latch checked all along, everybody says looks good. But what is the problem?????
The pain is not after every feed but my goodness after a bout of pain my breasts become very tender/sore for the next few days (even more than normal!). So I take some ibuprofen for a day and that helps. But I can't keep taking painkillers without resolving this. I feel sure this is 'fixable'.
Tiddler is thriving and gaining weight beautifully so it's not affecting her.
Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated