Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nursing past 1 yr, DH not understanding

Default Re: Nursing past 1 yr, DH not understand

When my son was about 4mo my husband went to a conference for work. When he returned we had this conversations:

DH: I ran into (insert name) and his wife and son. She is still nursing and he is 16 months old!
    Me: Uh-huh . . .
    DH: Isn't that kind of old?
    Me: Not really. WHO recommends nursing until at least 2.
    DH: Oh. Interesting.

I would suggest finding someone your DH likes to hang out with that also happens to be nursing a toddler (or has a wife nursing a toddler) and make sure the subject comes up. Then he will know someone else that is doing it AND the experts recommend it, so it must be normal. Good Luck.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommyhood View Post
    The reason I would stop myself is because I'm so passionate about breastfeeding, I could feel myself getting "fired up"...and I didn't want it to turn into an "argument".
    It sounds like you've got a solid plan and your husband is reasonable enough to hear you out. Don't feel bad if a conversation escalates to an argument; sometimes husbands need stuff like that to know when something is really important to us. I love that my husband takes an active role in parenting our son, but we have gone head to head on a couple things (fortunately none of the really big stuff yet). While unpleasant at the time, I think we've learned things about one another in the process and are ultimately better parents for it.

My husband told me once (I think when our son was about 5 months) that "when he's old enough to ask for milk, he's too old to nurse". I didn't even respond because our baby was so little then. Now whenever our son signs "milk" my husband yells at me "He asked for milkies!!! Hurry up and whip out a boob!!!" I never saw that coming. I think lots of husbands are a little weirded out by toddler nursing, but come around eventually. Good luck!

Also, IME we had MANY conversations about it, some involved emotions running high. I wouldn't expect immediate success, although that would be great!
    My view is that DH and I make parenting decisions together, but when there is a difference of opinion, there has to be a tiebreaker. IMO Mama has to have final say when it comes to bfing - and that's really what AAP says too! This is a relationship that is between mother and child. Yes, DH or partner support is a wonderful thing, but not always there.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on