Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Induced Lactation

Default Induced Lactation

I have never been pregnant before and I want to bf the baby I'm adopting in June. I have heard some people tell me they have had success with the Newman Goldfarb method. I did take the motherlove herbs and tried pumping for 2 weeks.

Default Re: Induced Lactation

I have heard of moms being successful by pumping and taking medications and hormones. But I have also heard of moms being successful by using an SNS and nursing the baby

I know it can take some weeks to produces milk, so 2 weeks might not be long enough.

I think/thought there were some adoptive nursing moms here, so hopefully they pop in soon.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I doubt 2 weeks is long enough. You mentioned in your introductory post that you need to take BCP for endometriosis. I think you probably want to talk to a doctor/IBCLC about how that may affect your chances of success. Many women find that the combination estrogen-progestin pill has a negative impact on milk production. Maybe a different type of hormonal therapy could be used instead? The progestin-only mini-pill might be an option... Many breastfeeding moms use that without incident, though some find that it has a negative impact on supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I doubt 2 weeks is long enough. You mentioned in your introductory post that you need to take BCP for endometriosis. I think you probably want to talk to a doctor/IBCLC about how that may affect your chances of success. Many women find that the combination estrogen-progestin pill has a negative impact on milk production. Maybe a different type of hormonal therapy could be used instead? The progestin-only mini-pill might be an option... Many breastfeeding moms use that without incident, though some find that it has a negative impact on supply.
    Oh, didn't catch she was using BCP. Yeah, those are used as part of some protocols I have seen to induce lactation, but not long-term. The estrogen is poblematic.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't have any advice unfortunately. I just wanted to say good-luck and it's wonderful of you to try!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Well I am going to try again with the domperidone when I get it. Ive talk to 2 girls who successfully used it. I do have the mini pill but it just made me get my period cause I wasnt lactating. I was just looking for others who have done it and what they did.