Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby pulling off and screaming at night

Default baby pulling off and screaming at night

I have a 2 day old baby (3rd baby) and she is pulling off and screaming when I go to nurse her at night. She wants to nurse (rooting) so I go to nurse her, she pulls off and screams and then keeps doing that, sort of like she wants milk but there is none...but thats not the issue as she is getting lots of colostrum and having more than the needed wet and dirty diapers for a 2 day old baby. She is otherwise happy and healthy and does not do this during the day.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: baby pulling off and screaming at ni

Congrats on the brand-new baby! Evening fussiness is common in babies, and it can be hard to figure out what is bothering them. Some possibilities:
    -milk flow is too fast
    -milk flow is too slow
    -baby is tired
    -baby needs to poop
    -baby has a wet/poopy diaper
    -baby doesn't like the nursing position she is in

Long as diaper output is normal and she's nursing okay during the rest of the day, I wouldn't worry. Since she's so little, I think the best thing you can do is to try different nursing positions and see if she has one she prefers at the fussy time of day. And maybe swaddle her? If the behavior continues, then revisit after a week or so, when your milk is in. Good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: baby pulling off and screaming at ni

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to happen when the milk isn't coming down as fast (now that my milk is in) or when she needs to spit up. She spits up frequently and so sometimes it seems she wants to eat but then she spits up first and then she will eat.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!