Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: concerns...

Default concerns...

I know by now I should know this. But I still get concerned. Recently my 4 month old has been very fussy at the breast. I can tell he gets impatient for the let down, but once it comes he feeds very steadily for about 2 minutes. Then he pulls off excessively! And the rest of the feeding on that breast becomes a constant battle of just trying to keep him on. Eventually he turns his head down into my belly and starts to fuss. At that point he's probably been feeding for a total of 4 minutes and I switch breasts and the whole thing starts again. The reason I am confused by this is because through out the whole thing he keeps acting like he wants to latch and he keeps latching just to suck once or twice then pull off. Is this just his way of letting me know he's done? Or maybe he's not getting enough? At his last dr appt (last week) he was in the 55 percentile for weight.

Default Re: concerns...

He really could be done. What happens if you offer the other side so he can get another fast rush of milk?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Or it could be OALD. He could be popping off to avoid a heavy rush of milk that he is anticipating with a second let down.

Way too lazy for formula

If I offer him the second he does the same thing. He eats steadily for a minute or so after let down and then starts to repeat the process. I don't think it's OALD because as far as I can tell I never have a second let down. He doesn't eat long enough for that! Plus he eats so well through the first let down, I don't think it bothers him. He gulps like crazy and never seems bothered.

Could it just be this?
    I find that these battles are more when he's overtired, and if I can just keep him on long enough, he gets a little nap in and everything is a lot better. And he will nurse a lot better while he's asleep. So I resist the temptation to go grab a bite or take a bathroom break.
    Can they really be finished that quick?

I wouldn't rule out OALD just yet. The gulping really sounds like that could be the culprit. I only have one letdown (unless I'm pumping) presumably because my son only needs the one given the crazy fast flow (at 15 months I still occasionally spray him in the face if he pops off at the wrong time). Have you tried nursing reclined? I would lean back on a few pillows, put my son on my belly and let him latch. It took awhile to get it down, but it saved our nursing relationship.

With OALD nursing sessions can be really short too. My son only nursed for a few minutes at a time when he was younger. As long as diaper output and weight gain are okay, I wouldn't be too concerned about the short durations.

Distractable baby. That's exactly what it is! Right now Logans father can't even be in the room when he's nursing now! Cause hell just stare at him. He's just over 4 months so he fits into the age category. But I already figured this was partly what was going on and I do usually nurse him in a quiet dark room and he still does it. He def has plenty of wet diapers. I just hope he's satisfied when I finally give up.

That's the place we're at right now, with my very distractable little guy. I have found that I can sometimes give up for the time being, but maybe 10 minutes or so later, try again, and he's more willing. There are some hand motions and body language he has that tell me it might work "now", but they're more an instinct thing than something I could actually describe. But I figure I just keep offering and trying, and he'll really go for it if he's in the mood. The dark room thing would be lots better for us if he weren't refusing to nurse based on the knowledge that it makes him sleepy, I swear he just wants to never sleep because the world will keep going without him.

My son is 6 motnhs now and started that when he was 3 Extreamly distracted were during christmas there were so many voices that I had to go feed him in the car alone bec he wouldn't eat all day. But it got a lot better he is getting more use to everything , I make sure the tv is off and try not to have a conversation with anyone. And he has been adjusting well. So keep your head up he will probally grow out of it.
    Mommy to one little boy who changed my life 8/30/11 , loves mommys milk