Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid it's over... :-(

Default I'm afraid it's over... :-(

Hey ladies!! I am a new member. I come here for advice often but I am bit desperate so I thought I should join so I can get some feedback.

This past weekend, a stomach bug has come through our home and with all the stress and worry and nursing (to the sickos) that I've been doing I haven't been eating and drinking like I should. I knew my supply was low because of it, but I just pumped (my normal pumping schedule) here at work and only got 1oz! I have been supplementing my frozen supply with the sitter because I am not getting enough daily anymore. Me and Ella have been sleeping alone and apart from my husband and OS to keep from catching it. She is coming at me every couple hours during the night (I can see why now) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Today I am going to eat a ton of fruit and have some hearty soup hoping those fluids will help some. Please tell me all is not lost and that I can come back from this. I am not ready to give it up any time soon!!

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!!!

BTW.. Ella is 5 months today and is drinking about 5 1/2 - 6 oz per feeding. I EBF and pump at work 2 (now 3) times a day. I have not tried any supplements or herbs. My supply just dropped over this past weekend. I hope I covered any questions...???

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by @llli*elicia.0711; March 6th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Default Re: I'm afraid it's over... :-(

It is definitely not over. Start drinking water and nurse as often as you can. Remember that the pump isn't as effective at removing milk as a baby. One ounce is not nothing and you can always build your supply back up. How many feedings does she have by bottle daily? (I'm assuming you mean 5-6 ounces when bottle feeding)

Welcome! Glad you joined officially.

Don't worry, all is not lost. Increasing supply is always possible. Start by nursing on demand, increase your number of pumping sessions (which I know is like saying "oh, just find more minutes in the day!" ), stay hydrated (a big dip in supply could signal that you are about to get sick), take some fenugreek, eat some oatmeal, and check your pump. They do wear down with time, and sometimes you need a different fit of breast shield as time passes.

The bottles your baby is getting sound like they're on the large side. How many of those 5-6 oz bottles does she get per day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

5-6oz per feeding is too much. The rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz of milk for every hour she is away from you. She would never drink that much from your breasts at one time and her daily feeds to should be mimicking her intake from you. Breast fed babies do NOT need bigger feeds as they get older. Pull back on her bottle size. send in 3 bottles that have 3-4oz MAX in them. Continue to nurse on demand while together.

Way too lazy for formula

Could your period be about to return? That is a classic reason for supply to drop. Fortunately it will usually rebound in a few days.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Oh dear I had no idea I was feeding her too much! I'll cut back for sure. And yes, it's 3 bottles a day with her sitter. I'm not sure about my period but I have thought about that. I've had some cramps. I have been queasy today but I am trying to blame it on the fact that I haven't been eating well. Yesterday all I had litterally was 2 Chickfila nuggets and some waffle fries. I know...that's terrible. I pray I am not comeing down with that bug. How will take care of my baby and protect her from it if I do. A whole other worry. I will get some oatmeal and eat that for lunch and try to drink more water. Thank you all so much!!! I feel so much better about this.

How many hours are you away from her each day?

Way too lazy for formula

11 hours. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elicia.0711 View Post
    Oh dear I had no idea I was feeding her too much! I'll cut back for sure. And yes, it's 3 bottles a day with her sitter. I'm not sure about my period but I have thought about that. I've had some cramps. I have been queasy today but I am trying to blame it on the fact that I haven't been eating well. Yesterday all I had litterally was 2 Chickfila nuggets and some waffle fries. I know...that's terrible. I pray I am not comeing down with that bug. How will take care of my baby and protect her from it if I do. A whole other worry. I will get some oatmeal and eat that for lunch and try to drink more water. Thank you all so much!!! I feel so much better about this.
    Over feeding is a common mistake with BF babies, especially if your DCP is not familiar with how a BF baby should eat.

My son is 6 months old and I take three 4oz bottles a day, often times he will only eat 2-2.5 of them. There are the times that growth spurts happen and they will eat more but not everyday (I personally keep a bottle or 2 in my DCP's freezer just in case!).

Like you said, yes you need to eat and drink more. Oatmeal is a good for supply, also try mothers milk tea, and fenugreek . There is a smoothie recipe that was put up the other day. I have not tried it but it sure sounds good.

It is not over!! you can always bring supply back with some work. Lots or nursing, adding in a pumping session or 2 (maybe even power pump 10min on 10 min off for an hour). As for the pump, make sure that you check your membranes (I change mine once a month) and tubing (rarely you can get a tiny hole, it happened to me once).

Good Luck and Welcome.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ation-Smoothie
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I would send 4 3oz bottles tommorow. That way she will get the 3 feeds she is used to and if she needs more there is a whole extra bottle. Think of it like this, the Outside most your child is drinking in a 24hour period is 32 oz. She doesn't need MORE THAN HALF that amount when away from you. Especially since she is still clearly night cycling. And bottle fed children aren't learning to self regulate the way and EBF child does. Just because she drink until the bottle is gone doesn't mean she NEEDS that much. It just means she is learning to drink until there is no more milk. It would probably be better for her to drink smaller amounts more often. But even if she drinks ALL that tomorrow it's still 6oz less than you have been sending. That should really help you in terms of pumping just enough for the next day. Keep us posted Mama!

Way too lazy for formula