Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: buy a new pump??

Question buy a new pump??

I have tried to read as much as possible about supply dropping. . . and I ned to know when I should break down and buy a new pump. It's pricey and I don't want to do it if I don't need to.
    The past week my pumping output has dropped drastically...like from 5 ounces per session to about 2 ounces per pumping session. My supply was fine until recently I traveled to Texas and missed 2 nursing sessions without pumping. There are a few other factors going on: I am having my period (but it's been back for about 3 months now), I have been under stress (aren't we all??), and I have been using my pump about 17 months. I have been drinking Mother's Milk tea the past few days, I nurse as much as possible, and I have added an additional one or two pumping sessions. There is NO way I am pregnant. So, how long do I wait to think it may be hormones or other stuff. When do I decide to break down and buy a new pump without damaging my supply permanently?
    Thanks!!!

Default Re: buy a new pump??

The first thing to do is to look at your parts; for example with my PISA I had a sudden supply drop when I needed to replace the membranes. What kind of pump do you have? 17 months is a long time even for a professional pump.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'd suspect the pump myself. If you have recently replaced the membranes and such, I'd wonder if it has worn out. It is also possible you have become habituated to it and no longer respond, especially if you are able to nurse effectively.

You could try renting one and see if that helps. Whether or not to buy one depends on how much pumping you still do and plan to do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a Medela PISA. I used it 9 months with baby 1, and am going on month 9 with baby 2. So, almost 18 months total. I bought new membranes, but they all got mixed in with old ones, so I guess I should throw them all out and start over.
    I looked into renting, but they would only rent it for a month at a time, and it was about the same as buying a new one. I still pump every morning and then when I work 3 days per week. I intend on pumping for at least several more months...
    What do you do if you're habituated to the pump?
    I'm kind of freaking out because his intake is sky rocketing this month and my pumping amount is dropping. Just trying to keep up!

Rental for one month should only be $50-90.

But an 18 month old pump..I'd wonder if it was just worn out myself.

If you are habituated, changing to a different type of pump may help. I switched from a Symphony to a Limerick, and my production jumped pretty quickly, and that is when my IBCLC suspected I was habituated.

Meanwhile, toss all membranes and buy new. I hate it when that happens
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!