Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Bottles

Default Breastfeeding and Bottles

DS is 11 weeks old and I'm going to start working once a week next monday, which I'm feeling really guilty and anxious about, especially since I dind't HAVE to go back so soon. But unfortunatly, before I had the baby I told them I'd be back when DS would be 8 weeks (I figured it would be easy and since it was only 5-6 hours per week...) but then I postponed and now I can't do that anymore since people are counting on me.
    Anyway, we had a rough start with a bad latch and cracked nipples, but things have been working really well for the past 3-4 weeks, no bottles, just EBF.
    My question is, can I ruin everything by having DS taking 2 bottle per week?
    I bought a medela calma bottle, that is supposed to make him work for the milk.
    I realize this may sound really silly but we worked so hard and things are going so well with nursing, that I REALLY don't wanna mess this up. I would prefer not to work for now than loosing our BF relatioship!
    What are your experiences? How can I make this work?
    Thanks ladies!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Bottles

You can totally make this work. No bottles ever at home. You pump while at work for the next work day. as soon as you pick baby up, you nurse him, and you just keep doing what you were doing. Whether or not the Calma works for you....that depends. Every baby is different, and some do well with just regular bottles, others need an alternative, and then yet others won't take a bottle, period (I have had all three scenarios, plus the cleft feeder). Try it and see what works.

But...since you ditched bottles, he may not want to take one now. I would suggest leaving him for a trial run with your DCP for a few hours. You then go get a haircut, new shoes, whatever you need to return to work and enjoy a little break before returning to work. Meanwhile, your DCP can try with the bottle, and if he won't eat, you can come back. Eventually he will take it, but better he associates it only with DCP

Once a week isn't that bad. I worked that kind of schedule after baby#2 was born, and then somehow it got to twice a week. I am now back at once a week. It's kind of nice seeing adults and not having kids hanging on me for a few hours a week, but it's nice not working FT too. I do feel bad that my baby isn't with me 24/7, but I do know he is being looked after well, he likes our sitter, he is with his brothers, and they are all having fun. And it's just a few hours a week.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You can totally do this. I worked with all three of mine, FT. My littlest is just 1 year. I went back to work with him at 6 weeks, but had a break over the summer because I am a teacher. He is still a hard core nurser, despite bottles with Daddy as well as an ability to throw back a huge amount of solids. For me one of the best times was getting home from work, sitting down and nursing. And on the weekends and days off, it is like those working days don't even count for him. And this continues even after I have pump weaned.

Join us over in the pumping chit-chat thread when you are pumping at work. (I still lurk there although I pump-weaned a few weeks ago.)
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you both so much for the tips, it's really encouraging to know you were able to make it work! I'll definetly be joining you on the pumping chit chat thread next monday I hate pumping grrrr :/ (was an Eper with DS1 iiirk!)

I know...I rethink the idea of having another baby because I do.not.want. to pump ever again after I'm done with pumping for this baby. I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it again!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great advice about having the DCP be the one to introduce the bottle! Hope all goes well!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97