Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating so much?

Question Not eating so much?

Hi, all! This is my first post, though over the past 8 months I have gleaned SO much from your posts.

My baby girl will be 8 months old tomorrow. The past several weeks (I'd say month or so) she seems to do more "nibbling" than anything. I'm doing good to get her to eat 7 minutes total (both breasts). Right after she started doing this, I realized she had thrush, and we went to the doctor. First meds didn't work, this one is doing the trick. But, my question I guess is can she possibly be getting enough from such quick nursing sessions? She seems to be gaining just fine, though we haven't had her weighed since the 6 month check-up. She eats right at every four hours...sometimes less, sometimes more. She almost always seems satisfied after a feeding. I had thought that maybe I needed to boost my supply using fenugreek or something, but after reading what I've written, I am thinking that supply isn't our problem. Would you agree?

Also, I don't think I myself have thrush, but could someone share what those symptoms might be? I do have some slight discomfort from time to time, but no obvious physical symptoms.

Thanks so much! And I look forward to participating more often now that I have taken the initial plunge and posted.

kelhmama

Default Re: Not eating so much?

It will be fine. Watch wets and poops, but this is very normal for some babies.

She is getting lots of fatty milk by doing this
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think it's a good idea to treat both mom and baby for thrush. You could use gentian violet or grapefruit seed extract instead of RX meds if you wanted.

My second was a very efficient nursling - no comfort sucking for her so it was quick. She was also my biggest baby. Like pp said, just watch diaper output.

Around 6 months my son started only nursing on one side for a meager 5 minutes! I was worried but not too worried due to his plentiful diaper output. My doubts prety much disappeared at a dr.'s appt around 7.5 months when i saw he was gaining and growing great. Some babies are just very efficient nursers!