Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: missed feeding / pumping.

Default missed feeding / pumping.

Hello ladies. My LO is 4 months. Today I went to work and forgot my pump accessories, and I was unable to leave. So I missed 1 feeding without pumping and I'm worried it might effect my supply. Will I be ok or is there some precautions I could take? I fed him as soon as I got home... went about 7 hours... help! I'm all worried...

Default Re: missed feeding / pumping.

I'm no expert, but I've done this a few times (my LO is now 8 1/2 months). The times this has happened, it hasn't affected my supply long term. But it's never happened 2 times in a row or even 2 times in the same week. Plus I've never had a problem with supply, so take those things into consideration. I think as long as you get right back at your regular schedule tomorrow, even if you see a drop for a day or two, it should work itself out in a day's time.

Good Luck!
    AmyMarie

Wife to Ben (4/16/10)
    Mother to Alexis (7/20/97)
    and to Reagan (6/16/11)

One time shouldn't hit your supply, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. You might want to nurse more often this evening. If you are afraid of this happening again, you might buy an extra set of accessories that you leave at work.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Once should not cause any issues. And if it did, the fix is simple-nurse alot when with baby. However, for your own comfort if nothing else, you might want to learn to hand express for emergencies. Pumps break, parts get lost, power goes out, batteries die, etc. etc. so it's nice to have a no-tech back up plan. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

I agree. Great advice so far. One time shouldn't make that much of a difference.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97