Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Poop?

Default No Poop?

I know there is a poo forum, but it does not seem to be used as frequently as this one.

DS is 4 1/2 months old, and has suddenly decreased poo frequencies. He pooed last Saturday (9 days ago) and went until Wednesday before he pooed (twice). He was gassy and would grunt on occasion like he was trying to go. Poo was thicker than normal, not quite peanut butter, but more solid than the watery diapers we were getting. He has not pooed since Wednesday (5 days). He used to poo twice every three days. Last night he woke up crying and straining to poo to no avail. The only way I could get him to calm down was to hold him in a near sitting position.

He only gets breastmilk, breastfeeding at home and EBM when I am at school or church activities.

Any advice? My family is very disturbed by the infrequency and want me to take him to the pediatrician. I feel badly for him when he tries to go, but I don't think a trip to the pediatrician is necessary.

He also had a decent cold last week starting with the poo problems. He seems to be almost over the cold.

Default Re: No Poop?

Infrequent poops (1 a week or in some cases 1 every 2 weeks) are normal in an exclusively breastfed baby as long as the poop is soft when it emerges and is produced without significant straining or evidence of pain (turning red, screaming).

Is baby getting any vitamin supplements? Iron is particularly notorious for causing babie to get stopped up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No supplements, just milk. About once or twice a day he seems to strain to go and be uncomfortable. It just seems odd that his habits changed so much so quickly. And still, no poo

Try a warm bath. That always made my kids go. And don't worry too much! Infrequent poops are totally normal in an EBF baby, since after a certain point the gut matures and milk gets digested very thoroughly, leaving little waste.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you! I feel better. Now just to convince the grandmas and great grandmas, lol.

Did they formula-feed their kids? Formula-fed babies get constipated pretty frequently. And, conversely, because formula doesn't digest as completely as breastmilk, formula-fed babies should poop with greater regularity than breastfed ones, because they have more waste to move through their systems.

My LO is 5.5 months, and hasn't pooped in 24 hrs, the longest stretch ever for him. Of course I have to worry. I feel so much better just having read this post. I love this forum, thanks to everyone who pitches in!