Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby is refusing her feeds! HELP, AHH!!!

Default Baby is refusing her feeds! HELP, AHH!!!

So, my LO is 2 1/2 mos. corrected and has been bottle feeding since she started taking feeds by mouth in the NICU. Last monday she began to refuse her feeds and we have NO idea why!

Let's back up a bit so you get some context! I have been practicing breast feeding with her for sometime now, and she just hadn't been interested. About a month ago I bought an SNS and some different bottles with nipples that are shaped more like mine to see if this would help, and even with those she wasn't improving. Well, skip to last Monday when she started refusing feeds...all of the sudden she was acting like she didn't like the milk, and has been taking less than 300ml of milk EACH DAY! This has been really stressful!

So, two days ago, she all of the sudden started acting like she wanted to breast feed so I popped a nipple shield on, and she just went to town! This is great to me, but (to finally get to my point and question!) I am a little concerned that she isn't getting anything to eat. I have been trying to increase my supply for the last month or so, but was still only able to get out a MAX of 2.5 oz per day. And now, just today, she is completely refusing to take a bottle and only wants to nurse. I am concerned that with the nipple shield (which she is unable to latch on without at this time) my breasts aren't being stimulated enough to produce more milk.

Do you all have any suggestions on either helping her to latch well without the shield (I have tried everything I have ever read in every breastfeeding book I know of, like stimulating her lips with my nipple, saying "Awww" to her and opening my mouth wide, opening her mouth for her, etc.!), or to stimulate milk production while using the shield?

This is just driving me nuts and we are just a little more than confused about all this, so I appreciate your help!!!! Thanks!

Default Re: Baby is refusing her feeds! HELP, AH

Oh, and a side note...All the milk in the bottles she is getting is my frozen breast milk not formula. Although it is fortified with Neosure formula, just a bit.

Get out an SNS and run the tube under the shield and let it do its thing to give her her milk but still nurse. Eventually, you will have enough if you let her nurse.

Watch wets and poops.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I tried that, and I think she doesn't like the milk that I have frozen! She pulled away when she tasted the milk.

Lipase then. That is possibly the issue. Does she refuse fresh pumped milk? If you taste the milk, does it taste soapy, metallic or like vomit?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!