Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible DCP overfeeding

Default Possible DCP overfeeding

So in the couple of weeks, DS' daytime caregivers (my mom and MIL on alternate days) have both been dipping into the freezer stash to supplement what I'm providing fresh. They say he's unsatisfied after getting a normal 4-5 oz bottle, and that he cries and appears to be looking for more.

Now, I'm sending 14-15 oz of fresh milk, and I'm able to feed him at 7am and 4:30pm, which is 9.5 hours, so I'm already sending a pretty good amount. On the days that they supplement, some of his feedings are up to 7 or 8 oz! From everything I read, this is way more than most BF babies take in a sitting.

DS is 6 months. It could be a growth spurt, so I want to be sensitive to his needs and make sure he's getting enough. On the other hand, if it's not a growth spurt, I need to cut off the extra supplements because there is no way I can keep up with pumping 18-20 oz per day!

My MIL has recommended putting rice cereal in his bottle (!) to keep him full longer. We did start cereal this weekend but DS was uninterested; it was fun to try, but I don't really think he's ready. If he continues to act hungry in the future perhaps solids might be able to fill in some of the gap?

In the meantime, what should I tell DS' caregivers? Should they continue to supplement when he seems unsatisfied after a feeding? If not, how should they deal with his apparent hunger?

Thanks!
    Karin

Default Re: Possible DCP overfeeding

Have them use paced bottle feeding.
    Yes, he is getting way too much per feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Have them use paced bottle feeding.
    Yes, he is getting way too much per feeding.

Hide the freezer stash. Tell them it's gone. Seriously.

The rule is 1 oz to 1.5 oz for every hour you are gone. Rice cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.

Here's a link to help them understand: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I had a DCP who was overfeeding too. I left my second baby to work 4-6 hours once a week and left 12 oz. I came back to find it all gone! This happened several weeks in a row. Turned out every time he made a peep, they shoved the bottle in his face, instead of checking his diaper, walking around with him, etc. I found a new caregiver and changed bottle types to a Breastflow, and I could leave just 6 oz and usually came back to a happy baby and 1-2 oz left. She had a lot of experience with babies and was supportive of breastfeeding in general.

Rice cereal in bottles is not necessary, and it is a choking hazard.

Check your bottles' nipples. They might be wearing out, letting him get more milk too fast, before the signal that he is full reaches his brain, making him think he is still hungry. Or switch to a slow flow bottle, such as a Breastflow or one of the alternative bottles (I have a thread on this in the pumping forum) that makes him work to get milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What is paced feeding? Could he be acting hungry because he's eating too quickly?

I hear what you're saying about hiding the freezer stash, but I worry about what would happen if milk got spilled or something. Is 14-15 oz still too much?

Do you guys have any links I can send to my mom that say 8 oz is too much for one feeding?

Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; March 5th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbcross View Post
    Do you guys have any links I can send to my mom that say 8 oz is too much for one feeding?
    That's probably right for a baby drinking formula, but it's wayyy too much for breastmilk. My daughter NEVER got more than 4 oz in a sitting.

Does he just want to suck? Would a pacifier help? My daughter used one at daycare when I was at work.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! I just posted something very similar. My MIL is watching my baby while I have gone back to work. She is convinced he is starving. She is also
    clueless about breast fed babies. I came home the other day to find out she go into my freezer stash to feed him about 30 minutes before I got home. We finally issued an ultimatum about her getting into the freezer stash and that she's only to feed him what we leave in bottles in the frig that we've prepared for him.
    What bugs her is that he tries to latch with her (that's why she thinks he's starving). My response was that it is because she's female, he won't do this to my husband when he feeds our baby the bottle. Has anyone else seen this occur in ebf babies? I am hoping he grows out of this...
    Thanks!!!

Point out that breastfeeding is not just about eating. For many babies, it is also about comfort. He will probably stop doing it with her once he is older, but some babies are just nuzzlers.
    Susan