Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long per feeding?

Default how long per feeding?

new mom, again!

so, my now one week old had been nursing for 10-20 minutes per breast per feeding. my breasts are now very full almost all the time...to the point of almost painful. now...he only nurses 8-10 minutes per breast and sometimes only stays awake long enough for one breast per feeding! is this ok? he is still getting over his jaundice and sometimes doesn't wake up (even if i try to help him) for 2 1/2 hours or more. i want to embrace feeding only on cue, but am nervous he will not get enough. i have fears due to my older son's experience...he was diagnosed "failure to thrive" at 9 months until he was 2. i just want my boy to be getting enough!

thanks for your help!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: how long per feeding?

You can embrace feeding on cue, but that doesn't mean you only should offer when you see cues, sometimes that's too late for some babies, you can always offer as much as you want, a breast baby will not over eat/over nurse, so just offer as much as you want, if they don't want it you can't force it, if they take it then they are hungry or wanting it.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I wouldn't worry about time at all, but rather watch the babies cues. A good way to know that baby is getting enough is by watching diaper count... I think it's at least 6 heavy wet diapers. Poops should be mustardy. Green poops, orange or red pee, or not enough wet diapers per 24 hrs is a sign of dehydration and baby not getting enough. The fact that your breasts stll feel full worries me because it makes me think your baby may not be latching well and pulling milk out, but also could be oversupply? But I have no experience with that. Maybe someone else knows more about that. Your baby also needs to be gaining sufficiently.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Watch diaper output. As long as that stays normal, you can feed on demand, and allow baby to drive when it comes to how long he stays at the breast and how often he eats. If you're engorged to the point of pain, you are probably in the serious overproduction phase of your breastfeeding journey. That often means baby will get his meal in a hurry (the more milk you have, the faster it comes out) and will not want oth breasts at a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had the same concern with my girl. As long as he is gaining, I wouldn't worry about how long he nurses. I saw a lactation consultant who explained that some babies are just more efficient at nursing. I had an overproduction of milk so seemed full a lot too until my body adjusted which took about 3 months. Because your 1st was failure to thrive, you may want to see a lactation consultant to get their take. But again, as long as he's gaining well, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

A few babies get plenty in 10 minutes and others need to nurse for 30-45 minutes or more in the very early days. And some nurse all different lenghts of time throughout the day. One breast, two breasts, in the normal course of things, that does not matter. The key in the early weeks is to nurse very, very, very frequently. If your baby is not cueing to nurse a minimum of 10-12 times a 24 hour day, go ahead and offer more, even if you have to wake baby to nurse. Don't feed on a scedule, don't watch the clock, nurse whenever baby cues and offer as much as you like. Unless there is something unusual going on, that is the way to bring in a good milk supply and ensure baby gets enough. If output (poops) or weight gain is not good despite feeding very frequently, then it is time to have breastfeeding assesed to find out why baby is not getting enough. Also if the engorgement continues despite nursing frequently that is something to look at further.

What to expect in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    Engorgement: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html
    simple diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf
    waking a sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 6th, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: forgot something