Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to prepare going back to work?

Default How to prepare going back to work?

My daughter is getting reading to go back to work. She will be working 8 hours days for about 3 weeks. Then she will work from home so she will continue to breast feed. Any ideas on preparing the month before? How will her milk supply stay at the level she will need when she is back at home after those 3 weeks? While at work she may only be able to pump 2-3 times. I nursed my children but when ever I missed a feeding I would hand express enough to get me by until the next feeding. So I don't know what to tell her. Please give us as much information on how this all works.

Default Re: How to prepare going back to work?

She needs to plan to pump with a double electric for about 15-20 minutes at a time at least 3 times during an 8 hour time frame. Of she does that and nurses on demand while at home, her supply should be fine.

She can pump once a day and save that. She doesn't need a lot, just enough for a day or two, as at work, she will express for the following day. She needs to make sure she does not have excessive lipase before storing. And the baby will take 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for the response just have a question. Why would you need to know this, and How do you know you have excessive lipase?

Lipase is an enzyme all others have. It is there to help baby digest fats. It's normal. But,for some moms, it is activated by pumping, or it is present in excessive amounts (nobody is really sure), and when you pump and you have it, it can make your milk taste so bad your LO won't drink it.

This place abounds with stories of moms who pumped diligently their whole maternity leave and then went to use some frozen milk a day or two before going back to work and finding it stinks, baby won't take it, and it tastes like vomit.

Better to know and be proactive before getting into that situation

Finding out is simple. Pump and leave the milk in the fridge. Taste every day, even 2x a day. If it starts smelling gross, tastes bad -- metallic, soapy, vomit-like -- you have excessive lipase. It's not dangerous, and your milk is OK, but it means your baby might not like it.

But you know how long it takes then for it to affect your milk. Some moms have just hours, other have a day or two. This is useful as you can decide if you need to scald any milk; scalding kills the enzyme. If you are pumping at work and your milk needs 24 hours to start tasting off, you don't need to scald any except Friday's milk and any you wish to freeze. If it takes just hours, scald everything. RgcIf it takes 2-3 days, you only need to scald what you want to freeze.

Freezing does not kill the enzyme, only slows it, which is why moms will dip into the freezer and then realize there is a problem.

Most moms don't have a problem, but if it happens to you after pumping a lot and depending on that milk, it will make you cry when you realize you have a lot of milk your baby won't drink.

If you do have milk affected by lipase, don't toss it! You might be able to donate it. Use it for baking. Something. I mix it 1/4 frozen to 3/4 fresh and use it at the next feeding, but my baby is not getting from-the-tap sweet milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!