Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old wants to nurse constantly

Default 2 month old wants to nurse constantly

Help! My 2 month old wants to nurse all the time. She latches, nurses for a while and falls asleep for 10 minutes. When she wakes up she cries until I nurse her again. This goes on most of the day and night. My nipples are getting sore and I never seem to have any extra to pump. She does have some moments of happy calm and most of the time she doesn't seem like she's actually eating, just sucking. Last week I started back to work, so I'm wondering if she's responding to me being gone and just wants the extra comfort but the constant suckling and screaming is starting to wear on me. Daddy watches her during the day and on Friday he said she just kept crying until he kept feeding her. She ate 5 ounces in about an hour, which is more than she normally eats. Could it be a growth spurt? Reacting to the change in my schedule, what?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Default Re: 2 month old wants to nurse constantl

It could be both at the same time, which I can't imagine is easy for you. Give her time. I know you are probably worn out but give it a few days and see if she feels better.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

agree with pp. i know it can frustrating, but going with the flow is easier. just remember...this too shall pass
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

A growth spurt or missing mommy are both possible, and I don't know how you'd separate one alternative from the other. Another possibility would be fussiness/colic- that often peaks somewhere between 3 weeks-3 months. Often it strikes hardest at one particular time of day, often in the late afternoon-evening. Some useful techniques for coping with extreme fussiness:
    - Nurse. Nurse, nurse, nurse nurse nurse.
    - Closeness. Wear baby in a sling, snuggle her close to bare skin.
    - Motion. Rocking in a rocking chair, stroll in a stroller, swinging, ride in the car, bouncing, etc.
    - White noise.
    - Keep the house calm- turn off/down lights, tv, and stereo.
    - Warm water- try a nightly bath.
    - Fresh air- take baby outside for a walk.

Is the baby nursing literally every 10 minutes? If so, you might want to try the following:
    - Switch nursing- when baby seems to be dozing off at the breast, take her off, burp her, change her diaper, and switch her to the other side. Repeat until baby no longer wants to nurse. This technique lets her know that she has to continue to feed actively or she will get a rude awakening!
    - Breast compressions- keeps milk flowing to the baby even when her suckling efficiency has slowed down.
    - Talk to your pediatrician. There may be something physical that is bothering your baby- reflux, an ear infection, even teething.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Daddy watches her during the day and on Friday he said she just kept crying until he kept feeding her. She ate 5 ounces in about an hour, which is more than she normally eats. Could it be a growth spurt? Reacting to the change in my schedule, what?
    I think it could be a growth spurt or the stress of adjusting to your new scedule, as well as any of the other ideas posted earlier. As long as baby is gaining appropriately, very frequent nursing is within the range of normal and not a problem for baby, although of course it can be a probelm for mom! The ideas in above posts may help a lot.

Here are some tips for bottlefeeding the breastfed baby that may help daddy: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and more fussy baby ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf