Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom trying to build supply

Default New mom trying to build supply

I have a 3 week old and will be going back to work. I am trying to exclusively breast feed however I don't have all the answers to my questions.. so I thought I would try here. I want to build a freezer supply and have milk pumped for when I go back to work in about a month. My main question is should I be pumping at the same time every day or does that not matter? The other huge question is I am only getting half an ounce to an ounce... will it get better??? I did however pump in the AM when my baby only ate from one side and got 3 ounces on the other side. Should I exclusively be feeding my daughter from only one side and pumping the other? My peer counselor has advised me to feed both sides and pump one side after feeding. And alternate which side I pump when I pump again. Any advice? I am concerned I wont get this down before I need to , and will have to switch to formula for that reason.
    Please any advice is helpful!

Default Re: New mom trying to build supply

First off, and congrats to your baby!!

What I did was nurse on one side while I pumped on the other at the same time. It takes some practice but can be done. I would pump just once a day for right now so that you can build a small stash and also get practice with the pump.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Take the pressure off and understand you don't need a lot to go back to work, maybe enough for a day or two. And baby will only take 1 to 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation.

Try pumping in the morning, pumping while nursing, or pump after a nursing session. There isn't really a wrong way to save up a bit of milk.

Make sure you don't have excessive lipase before storing; there is nothing worse than realizing your baby won't take your stored milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PPs. Also, what sort of pump do you have? Many moms start out with underpowered pumps, thinking that they can make do with a cheap option. But a mom who is going to be working full-time or even part-time should get herself a really good pump. Medela Pump in Style seems to be the default good option for working moms.

Also, let's just imagine that you do end up in a situation in which you need to use formula- does that mean you need to stop breastfeeding and switch entirely to formula? Nope! Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Lots of moms end up combining breast and formula and nurse successfully for long periods of time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A WHO compliant pump is the Hygeia and Limerick. Medela, Ameda, Lansinoh, Simplisse are all not WHO compliant or are owned by non-WHO compliant companies. Just in case anyone is interested or cares
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!