Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help for my cousin

Default Need help for my cousin

My trusty LLLadies, I need to run this by you. My cousin has a baby girl, one week old today. She is down almost a lb from birth weight. She was jaundiced, but was discharged after the number went down. Today's weight check she had lost enough and seemed jaundiced so they checked the levels. She's back up to 19.5. They admitted baby and want mama to supplement again. Mama is nursing and baby has plenty of dirty diapers. Also she's pumping, they want to moniter the nursing and pumping amounts. Mama is very aggravated at how they are treating her, like she's a delinquent mama (quoting her). I told her to just make sure she keeps nursing, topping off with formula. It's actually a normal weight loss amount right??? What about the jaundice?? What else can I tell her. Thanks for the help llladies!!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Default Re: Need help for my cousin

whether the weight loss is normal would depend on many factors. Some weight loss in the first few days after birth is normal but almost a pound seems like a lot. But in any case, if her milk has come in, weight should be goping back up now.
    Jaundice jaundice jaundice-ugh. It's so tricky. Jack Newman has some good info on this.

Can your cousin see an IBCLC? Maybe one NOT associated with the hospital? I am curious why the baby seems to not get enough milk, if he is indeed not getting enough. If supplementing is warranted, fine, she should supplement. But she should also be having breastfeeding supported, even just strictly from an infant heath standpoint. Is anyone trying to help your cousin figure out why breastfeeding is appariently (or anyway, supposedly) not enough? Is the issue that baby cannot latch well, or is not nursing enough, or that mom has low supply, or what? And what is being done about it? I would love it if she can see an IBCLC for a real appointment, which would last about 90 minutes. She needs effective hands on help, not just a looksee from an overextended lactation helper in the hospital.

what is normal in early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Newman on breastfeeding and Jaundice: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/7pdf.pdf

with the PP. The jaundice level is high enough that it makes sense to be concerned. IIRC, when the bili level is over 20 they start talking seriously about phototherapy and formula, because brain damage starts to set in around 25. Based on the baby's levels and the weight loss, I actually think it makes sense to supplement (with breastmilk, obviously) and keep very careful track of how often and how much the baby poops/pees/eats. And of course cuz should also see the IBCLC!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

They want her to use formula. That's why I said she should be topping off with it. I don't understand if she's pumping though why not use that milk. I hope to be able to get a hold of her and get an update today. Hopefully things are looking up. Thanks so much ladies!

Just got a text from her and her level is now down to 15 and they let her supplement with breast milk after I messaged her last evening! So she is feeling a lot better about everything. They are hoping it's down more this afternoon and can go home!
    Last edited by @llli*mumma2thumper; March 9th, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Sounds like things are going better. I don't understand not supplementing with pumped milk, it might just be they are just accustomed to recommending giving baby formula or they think her supply is low and that's why Baby lost wt. I think the wt loss depends on the percentage of weight, too, at least when my DD was born they had her weight written down and what percentage she lost was the more significant factor to them. I hope she ends up doing great and starts gaining well soon.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.