Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feel like I have "just enough" or what?

Default Feel like I have "just enough" or what?

I'm a first time mom and my little gal is 4 mos old and I feel like we have the hang of breastfeeding. But one thing that always concerns me is that everything I read and everyone I talk to describes such a different experience supply-wise.

For example, I can count on one hand, the number of times I've leaked. The only time I ever feel full or slightly engorged is the rare occasion when she sleeps longer than usual at night. I never accidentally squirt or spray. I very rarely see milk dribble out of her mouth. I have to feed about 12-15 times per day. When I pump I get less than 1 oz each time.

She's always been in a low percentile weight-wise (18% last time doc checked) but has always had good diaper count and is happy and thriving.

I'm so jealous and I feel kinda inadequate when I hear people talk about leaking, engorgement, having such a huge freezer stash that they're gonna donate some milk, filling their baby up to the point of milk drunk and not having to feed again for 3 hours, etc.

Am I the only one who has this "just enough" bordering on maybe "not enough" feeling all the time? Does anyone think it sounds like I have low milk supply? I'd hate to think I'm under feeding. My instincts tell me she's getting "just enough" but sadly no more than that.

Default Re: Feel like I have "just enough" or wh

As long as you are feeding on demand, baby is consistently gaining weight and meeting her milestones, and you're seeing enough wet diapers, there is absolutely no need to worry about supply even if your baby is at the lower end of the weight-for-age charts. Healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking there are just as many babies in the 18th %ile as the 82nd, and just as many in the 1st as the 99th.

Many moms rarely or never leak, rarely if ever feel full or engorged, never build a huge freezer stash or any stash at all, never donate, never see milk dribble from their babies' mouths, never spray, pump small amounts, and most importantly, never ever get to go more than an hour or two between feedings. My kids both fed every 1-2 hours throughout their first year and into their second- and they were both enormous. Don't worry!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nice to meet you, I am all of those things as well! I went to lunch with a new mom I met in a mom's group who had 500 oz in her freezer! Sheesh! I don't have a stash at all and I work outside the home. I pump enough for the next day and that's it. And we are 6.5 months and going strong!

I very very rarely leak, don't get engorged, etc. but it seems to suit my DD just fine and I'm sure yours is happy too!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

All you need is just enough. Don’t feel jealous of the leakers (leaking is a major pain and it also is irrelevant as far as supply goes, it means nothing except you have leaky breasts.) Moms who pump a ton to stash or donate are often struggling with oversupply and that brings on its own set of headaches, I assure you. And engorgement is very painful and potentially harmful. You are better off making “just enough"! If you are thinking you may be 'underfeeding" then offer to nurse a bit more if you like. Cue feeding means to not only feed when baby cues but also that mom can offer whenever she feels like it.

At this age, it is very typical for a mom to think she has low supply. Usually this is totally a false alarm but when it IS an issue it seems to usually be because mom has started scheduling rather than continuing to cue feed (even 'soft' scheduling can do mischief sometimes) and/or baby has started going a very long stretch overnight, every night (more than 5 or 6 hours, say) without nursing, or solids are being introduced too early or too "aggressively." Don’t do those things and you are likely just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rosiesmama2011 View Post
    but has always had good diaper count and is happy and thriving.
    Let me rephrase it: You have precisely the right amount for your baby. Donating is great, but the first and most important job of breastfeeding is to provide for your baby. And you are clearly doing that.

Are you pumping between feedings or in place of feedings? 1 oz is perfectly reasonable when you are pumping between feedings. Remember to that pump output is a very poor measure of supply. Babies are much more efficient at removing milk and it sounds like your baby is great at it.

As to the wanting to feed all the time still--my chunky at the top of the percentiles one-year-old still will tend to nurse a lot if I am around--mostly because he really likes it. That's a good thing.

Your body is clearly in tune with what your baby needs.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I was there with the first baby and now with the second I have a little more supply, but that is mostly thanks to baby and his power suction. I had more oversupply in the begining and now at 3 months I am totally regulated and have just enough. I only get a few ounces if it has been 6 hours without nursing and only in the wee hours of the morning. Now that I am back to work part time he power nurses in the afternoon and all weekend long too keep the supply going.

There is so much worrying over too much or too little milk. You may find it much easier the second time around, but it depends on the baby. My first time around my baby weaned himself at 7 months because he didn't make enough milk by constantly snacking and sleeping at the breast. This second baby is 3 and half months and things seem to be going a lot smoother. Just relax and try to avoid the jealousy if you can. As long as she is having a good wet and poopy daiper count and is happy and thriving then you are doing AWESOME!!!!

Thank you all for weighing in and letting me know this can be a normal experience to have!

Default Re: Feel like I have "just enough" or what?

yes, oversupply and spraying and leaking... not fun. oversupply can lead to such forceful letdown that your baby can get "scared" of nursing. Mine is right now. And not leaking, wow, I leaked even when I was prego and nursing and barely had any milk. How wonderful to feel that tingle in public and not immediately reach up and feel for the pads and make sure they're in place. And I bet because your milk is in perfect balance for your little one and you don't leak or spray, nursing in public is easy, right?

Let me be the mommy who tells u that over supply isnt as magical as it sounds. 6 clogged ducts later and i had finally gotten my supply to where it needed to be.. and then he went through a growth spurt lol! what do you know! well producing just enough isnt a bad thing at all, like everyone else said. but if u want to start a small stash, pin point the time of day that u have maybe a little extra milk, where u might feel a bit fuller, and pump your ounce or half of an ounce and freeze it... by the end of the week youll have 7 ounces! My time of the day is at about a 10pm, i put DS down to sleep at 8pm and he normally sleeps until 1am, then up every 3 hours after thats until 8am. so i feel safest pumping at that time.

ALSO... when i had a large over supply (able to pump up to 5oz while EBFing) i didnt leak at all... i never have really... i wasted money on nursing pads lol