Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relocating pls help moving freezer stash

Default Relocating pls help moving freezer stash

Hi All,

I'm mother to 28 weeker preemie. I have freezer stash of around 600oz of BM piled up during his stay in NICU. I have the milk in chest freezer bought just for storing BM.
    We need to relocate from hartford CT to Dallas,TX in April. I'm really worried about moving my freezer. Please help me with some ideas. My considerations till now are:

1. Check in the milk with airlines. Pack 300oz each in two coolers with some dryice and gel packs and check in. My problem here is airlines allows only 5lbs of dryice per cooler. Will that be enuf?

Total time for milk out of freezer would be 10-12 hrs assuming airlines doesn't miss the baggage.

2.Drive from here to tx with coolers in the car. Replacing dry ice throughout the journey. I have another 4 yr old. I'm scared of such a long drive with 2 children for more than 2 days. We plan to stay in the hotel in the night.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Relocating pls help moving freezer s

I would do #1 or ship FedEx overnight to someone who can keep it for you. If you look around here or online, there are instructions on how to ship breastmilk, like for donors. 300 oz is the minimum to pack; less and it thaws out.

Or you could donate it if you aren't using it.

It would not make it if you decided to try driving it. It would be too long out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan for quick reply. I have one more qtn though, i read contradicting posts online regd TSA asking for breastmilk to be put in X-Ray scanner.
    Is it safe for breastmilk coolers to go through x-ray scanners?

I would also do FedEx overnight. If you have someone that can receive it there and get it into a freezer right away.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Yes, breastmilk can go through X-ray scanners
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!