Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some help

Default Need some help

DS is 8 months old and has had weight issues since the beginning... Here's his weight history

Birth 7lbs 14 oz
    2 days later at discharge 7lbs 3 oz
    1 week 7lbs 3oz
    2 weeks 7lbs 8 oz
    3 weeks 7lbs 14oz - doc suggested supplementing here, but I didn't because weight gain seemed fine
    1 month 8lbs 6oz
    2 months 10lbs 4oz
    5.5 months 11lbs 12oz
    7 months 12lbs 11.5oz
    And a little over a month later he's only 13lbs even

We're doing BLW and he's not really taking in too many solids... nurses every 2-3 hours with 1 4 or 5 hr stretch at night.

The ped ran some blood work to check his iron levels and all came back normal. I took him to the IBCLC a few weeks ago and her suggestion was to add more solids... I haven't done that yet just because everything else I've read say solids will slow gain. I asked her about a possible lip or tongue tie and she looked but wasn't sure how severe it was. She referred me to an ENT and he said he has a slight tongue tie, but didn't think it needed clipped. As for the lip tie he suggested we see a pediatric dentist since he said it didn't look like it would interfere with BF but they may still want to clip if it looks like it will interfere with how his teeth come in.

I'm just at a loss as to why he's not gaining weight??? He's also been having issues with his bowel movements... he's always been a once-a-week pooper, but the past few weeks he's been a little constipated. Today he screamed for about 30 minutes trying to go... and there was also some blood. I've tried everything I can think of and it seems like the ped, LC and ENT don't really know what's going on either. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated... I'm just about ready to give up

* I posted on another site too, but looking for all the help I can get

Default Re: Need some help

A lot of babies become constipated when they start solids. You may want to back off on solids, or change what you're offering. Common constipation culprits include bananas, rice, bread products, cheese, and apples. Offering lots of "p" fruits may help: prunes, peaches, plums, pears, and aPricots are all good. Of course, since you have a little guy, you want to focus on high-calorie solids like meats, whole-milk yogurt, beans, and avocados, and you can also add some olive oil to his low-cal solids.

Some questions for you:
    How many times does baby nurse in a 24-hour period?
    Does he seem satisfied after nursing?
    Does he sleep through the night?
    Any signs of reflux in the baby? (Painful spit-up, arching of the back, dislike of being laid down flat on his back?)
    Have you been scheduling baby's feedings or feeding on demand?
    Are you taking any hormonal contraception?
    How does nursing feel?
    Are you and your baby's dad average-sized people, large people, or small people? (smaller people tend to have smaller babies!)

He isn't too interested in solids yet, but when he does eat it's usually pears, apricots, bananas (occasionally like once or twice a week), beans, avocado and we just started offering meats this past week which he isn't too fond of... the only bread product he's had are the Gerber Puffs which aren't too often either... maybe a few times per week

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A lot of babies become constipated when they start solids. You may want to back off on solids, or change what you're offering. Common constipation culprits include bananas, rice, bread products, cheese, and apples. Offering lots of "p" fruits may help: prunes, peaches, plums, pears, and aPricots are all good. Of course, since you have a little guy, you want to focus on high-calorie solids like meats, whole-milk yogurt, beans, and avocados, and you can also add some olive oil to his low-cal solids.

Some questions for you:
    How many times does baby nurse in a 24-hour period? Every 2 hours or so... sometimes every hour
    Does he seem satisfied after nursing? Usually... he's always been a "clingy" baby and likes to be held or near Momma He's a comfort nurser for sure
    Does he sleep through the night? No... he usually sleeps about one 4 or 5 hr stretch at night
    Any signs of reflux in the baby? (Painful spit-up, arching of the back, dislike of being laid down flat on his back?) Nope
    Have you been scheduling baby's feedings or feeding on demand? I've always fed on demand
    Are you taking any hormonal contraception? No
    How does nursing feel? They were a little rough at the beginning, but seem fine now...
    Are you and your baby's dad average-sized people, large people, or small people? (smaller people tend to have smaller babies!) We're both average... DD and DS1 are on the smaller size, but neither were ever this far off the charts... they were both FF after a few weeks/months though.

Baed on your answers to those questions, I'd guess you just have a smaller baby, and there's no real issue except genetics. You're nursing on demand, your baby's nursing frequency is very normal (I was worried you might have one of those rare non-demanding babies), you're not seeing indications of reflux, nursing feels okay, your other babies were also small, etc. It just all sounds normal!

The fact that nursing feels okay is a good sign that if there is a lip or tongue tie, it's not so severe that it's affecting nursing. If it was, I think you'd likely have pain when nursing.

Is baby growing in length and head circumference, and meeting developmental milestones at a normal pace? If so, those are also good indicators that things are going right.

Your baby IS gaining. Slower than average, for sure. But the history you have given shows some weight gain between every weigh in. That is very different from when a baby is not gaining, or is losing weight.

The weight gain history is interesting. Forgive my inept math but what I am seeing is basically normal gain until 2 months, and then only a gain of a pound and a half between 2 months and 5.5 months so, 24 oz of gain during 3.5 months. THAT period-an average gain of less than 7 oz per month in those early months, seems very, very slow. Was there any illness, (you or baby) stress, nursing strikes, or other issues during that time? Maybe even possibly some weight loss at some point that was then made back up?

Then baby gained 1 pound (16 oz) in one and a half months, from 5.5 to 7 months of age. Am I reading that right? So, an average of 10.5 oz per month.

So it sounds like the weight gain was actually improving quite a bit at a time that it would normally be dropping off- weight gain tends to slow a bit after around 4 months and even more after around 6 months, especially if baby has begun to crawl or roll or scoot-is starting to 'work out.' This is one of the reasons I am concerned when parents are pressured to make their babies "catch up" on weight gain months after the initial issues. It just (too me) goes against nature, in a way. But I really don't know the medical in and outs of this.

And in this last month, baby gained about 5 oz. So, it's slowing down again. But again, I am not sure what is normal for weight gain between 7 & 8 months. Certainly it would normally be less than the expected weight gain prior to 6 months.

We know breastmilk has excellent fat and caloric content, and you are nursing with high frequency. So the only thing I can think at this point is
    1) rule out any possible milk transfer issue: maybe do a few (best to not do just one) before and after nursing weight checks over a few days with your IBCLC (or someone who knows how to do them and has a sensitive enough scale) and see if you can see if the diagnosed tt IS possibly interfering with milk transfer after all. As mommal says, it seems unlikely when there is no pain for you but may be nice to at least rule that out. I am not sure what an 8 month old should be transfering, and you don't want to be unduly alarmed. I wonder if there is an IBCLC around you who specializes in wegiht gain or helping moms with "older' babies?

2) And/or, try breast compressions to see if they help make nursing sessions more productive. See http://www.lowmilksupply.org/compression.shtml

3) And/or, carefully introduce more of the healthy high fat, high calorie solids. As long as solids do not REPLACE or shorten nursing sessions they need not cause further weight gain issues, and may help. You are right to be cautious, you don't want baby getting LESS breastmilk esp when weight gain is such a concern. You could maybe continue to introduce slowly as you have been and always nurse prior to a solid "meal."

Of course, solids can still cause constipation and that is no fun. Since babies blood iron levels tested normal you can consider avoiding high iron foods for now as they can cause constipation. Iron enriched foods like baby cereals are really bad for causing constipation.

These might help-article on when slow weight gain follows early good weight gain: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Here is a nice article on human milk content as it applies to weight gain: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

Calorie and fat content in common baby/toddler foods: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:01 PM.