Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: day 2 of no latching during the day

Default day 2 of no latching during the day

I posted yesterday about my 9 week old and our nursing issues. So were on day two now, i called the medical group on my base and there were no appointments left for today so she told me the nurse would call me. That was at 7am its now 1:30pm im seriously getting fed up with this and about to have a meltdown and scream at them! So today things have gotten worse since yesterday, hes refusing a bottle now too most of the time and gags when i try a syringe, even when im not pushing it far into his mouth. Hes getting enough food im sure because ive been spending every waking minute trying to get him to eat when he seems most comfortable. No latching onto my breast still, only at night and temp is still regular. Im debating on going to the E.R because i dont want to expose him to the sick people there if i can still get milk into him. What do you guys think i should do? take him to the E.R or keep waiting for the nurse to call me? Or try to make an appointment for tommorow?

Default Re: day 2 of no latching during the day

Strangely, my 10 week old decided today that she wants to be fed "udder" style. I read suggestions to try feedin laying down, so while she was crying I put her on the floor and leaned over her. She has now fed happily like that three times today - I was able to transition her once she was sleepy enough into a cradle position. Have you tried odd positioning?

The lactation nurse finally called back! hes going to be seen tomorrow, thank goodness! yes ive been trying to nurse him laying down, and then when he comes off and cries i give him a bottle or syringe and then go back and forth whenever he seems comfortable enough, weve successfully done that a few times yesterday and once today.. he mostly is just sporatically feeding from whatever i can get him to take.

I'd try some Tylenol in case something is hurting him.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you tried walking around while getting him to latch. A2 went through a phase where that was the only way she'd latch on. I'd kind of bounce and rock and walk around and she'd latch. It's like she had to be distracted enough to latch on without thinking.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Thankyou so much for your replies! Everything everyone has suggested has helped me out so much! I keep going to the store and forgetting the freaking baby tylenol! I'm going to send DH to get it tomorrow. He's doing much better now there, he began accepting me again!! The kellymom article and everyone else suggestions is what did it... I didn't force him and did lots of skin to skin and tried weird positions and he's latching much more now! I was getting really scared it was just before I was going to try "re birthing" him and he latched! he must be feeling better thank goodness! Our dr. Apt is tomorrow at 1230 I will update then. One step foward! Hoping we don't take any steps back.

oh so happy for you!! I have been there!! Hpe you can get answers tomorrow!! If it's a sore throat and you comfortable with it, my pedi said I could mix up maalox and benadryl to give a few minutes beforea a feeding. I'm noramlly anti-anything other than bm for baby that young, but it did help. I did 1 ml. The maalox soothes the sore throat and the benadryl has a very SLIGHT numbing effect. Not so numbing that they choke, just enough that they can nurse. IF it's the sore throat. My heart just aches for you because we were there just a few short weeks ago and still today, randomly, she flips out if I offer!

eta: change dosing on maalox/benadryl combo
    Last edited by @llli*midwestmama2010; March 2nd, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Okay so we went to the doctor... he says he looks perfect! I'm starting to think that his issues are with the flow of let down and bottles. He sucks a few times unlatches gurgles like he's choking and then cries! I've tried the bottles that barely flow but he still can't tolerate it. It seems like anything spraying in the back of his mouth is untolerable for him. Hmm.... I have multiple strong let downs while nursing, even while my supply is low I still get big let downs. What to do.... idk! I'm coming to terms with everything and trying to relax.

Sounds like you have OALD. I do too. When he comes off does your milk often spray? Is his poop green ever? Does he have a lot of gas or burp a lot? Most often OALD is accompanied by OS. So to help combat OS you can Block feed. (look it up on kellymom ) If you think this could be part of his problem.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!