Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking ahead to weaning...

Default Thinking ahead to weaning...

Hi all - I'm a planner, so I was hoping to get some ideas as I think way ahead to DS weaning.

He's 9 months old and still nursing 4x a day (this after a really horrible ear infection/nursing strike - so I'm really proud of him). Some days, he'll throw in an extra. I try to offer before solids, but the only time he'll nurse that DOESN'T involve going to sleep is when he first wakes in the morning - and that's only if he didn't nurse at 3 or 4 am.

My ultimate goal is to get to 12 months with him. It's a personal decision I've made to make it at least that far and then begin to taper off. My daughter finished completely at 13 months, and I liked the way that worked for us both.

At what point will I begin to cut out feedings? Do I let him nurse as often as he wants UNTIL he's 12 months and then start to cut them out?

What about the fact that now, he will ONLY nurse before going to bed - except for the early morning nursing?

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Thinking ahead to weaning...

Formula or breastmilk is supposed to be most of their diet until 12 months, so if I were in your shoes I would wait to cut feedings out until then.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Formula or breastmilk is supposed to be most of their diet until 12 months, so if I were in your shoes I would wait to cut feedings out until then.
    feed on demand until 1 year, then start dropping sessions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What about the fact that now, he will ONLY nurse before going to bed - except for the early morning nursing
    This is a fairly typical pattern when baby is slowing down in feedings-to nurse only before bedtime and naps + that good morning feeding. These feedings are often the 'last to go' when a child is natually weaning as a toddler or older. So this would be a typical pattern of a baby who is close to weaning entirely, but of course many moms and babies nurse in a patterns like that for some time, many months sometimes.

Nursing to sleep is normal behavior and usually just fine, the only issue would be if baby is dropping off to sleep SO quickly they are not gettting enough milk overall.

If you wanted to nurse into toddlerhood, I would be concerned this feeding pattern was possibly too infrequent for a 9 month old as you could lose your supply and/or baby could lose interest earlier than you wanted. Howver, since you plan to wean entirely in 3-4 months this may be fine as long as baby is getting enough nutrition overall. As pp have suggested, it may be best nutrition-wise to hold off on eliminating any more nursing sessions until 12 months.

There are many ways of gently encouraging weaning, of which systematically eliminating feedings is just one option. Good books on this subject are "How Weaning Happens" and "The Nursing Mothers Guide to Weaning." As well as articles on weaning here and on Kellymom. Some of these books and articles may have sections encouraging moms to nurse longer than you want to, but that is because (unlike you) so many moms wean at some preset time due to outside pressure or other's expectations and not because it's their choice. They also give good tips for weaning gently at any age.

Thank you lllmeg - that was very helpful to hear. My daughter was down to only TWO nursings before she was 12 months, so I am VERY proud of myself and my DS for getting this far with 4.

During the day, he gets only a little bit of water to "wet his whistle" and otherwise, I have some frozen breastmilk stashed away from during his strike to use. I have offered actual extra nursings multiple times - after both naps, etc. - but he just doesn't want it then. Like I said, I'm feeling very lucky that he's even doing these 4 after what we went through a month ago.

I don't plan to just cut him off. If he wants to keep nursing past 12 months, I'm all for it. I just would RATHER be finished around then.

Thanks, again, for your support and thoughts!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com