Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Awake time important?

Default Awake time important?

I'm new to this message board and to being a Mom. Can somebody please tell me what LO means? My daughter is just over 2 weeks old and we've been doing a lot of trial and error when it comes to nursing. She generally eats every 2-3 hours, which I think is okay. However, she only eats about 12-15 minutes at each feeding. Initially I was feeding on both breasts each time, and now I've begun feeding just one breast in hopes of getting her more hind milk. She was spitting up a lot and I thought too much foremilk may be the cause. Anyway, I've read so many books, including Babywise. I know there is a lot of controversy around it and would never put in place a strict schedule, as I realize babies all have different needs. However, I do think it makes sense that some awake time during the day would suggest longer sleep times at night. What are some thoughts on this please. Some days she is awake for a little bit after each day feeding; other days she sleeps constantly -- except when she awake crying in hunger. (I don't always catch the hunger cues in time since she is sleeping in her cradle upstairs.) Also, the last few nights she has been very fussy and wanting to eat about every 1.5 - 2 hours at night. Could this be a growth spurt? Or is she just not getting enough at late evening feedings. I try to give her the other breast if she is still fussy after feeding, but she just purses her lips and won't take it. I assume with this that she is full. So much to learn. Any thoughts would be great. Sorry this post is so long.

Default Re: Awake time important?

Hi and Welcome!! Congratulations on your LO (little one). To start it sounds like you are doing a great job and yep...2 weeks is the perfect time for a growth spurt, this may last anywhere from 2 days to over a week! Not to worry though, things will do back to "normal".

I personally think that while babies do need awake time, it is not good to keep a tired baby awake. Does that make sense? Like if your LO is acting tired...don't try and keep her up as this will just result in an over tired baby! Newborns need lots of sleep (like 21 hours a day I think). So with that said, I would try to follow her clues as much as possible.

Being a new mom is overwhelming!! There are so many books out there! I also read Babywise, have you read Dr. Sears stuff at all? HTH (hope that helps).

You will find LLL to be such a great resource...from BFing to parenting...I love this site! Click here to find out the meaning to all the "lingo".

Smile Re: Awake time important?

Congrats on your new baby and welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrossr View Post
    I'm new to this message board and to being a Mom. Can somebody please tell me what LO means?
    LO stands for Little One (I think). There is a list of what things mean somewhere but I could not find it to give you the link. Maybe someone else will post it.

Initially I was feeding on both breasts each time, and now I've begun feeding just one breast in hopes of getting her more hind milk. She was spitting up a lot and I thought too much foremilk may be the cause.
    I am a new mom and not a pro like some on this board but what I have been told (and seen posted) was to finish the first breast first and switch to the second only if your LO finishes the first breast. Start with the second breast at the next feeding.

She was spitting up a lot and I thought too much foremilk may be the cause.
    Green poop is a sign of too much foremilk. Yellow poop means she is getting hind milk too!

Some days she is awake for a little bit after each day feeding; other days she sleeps constantly -- except when she awake crying in hunger. (I don't always catch the hunger cues in time since she is sleeping in her cradle upstairs.) Also, the last few nights she has been very fussy and wanting to eat about every 1.5 - 2 hours at night. Could this be a growth spurt? Or is she just not getting enough at late evening feedings. I try to give her the other breast if she is still fussy after feeding, but she just purses her lips and won't take it. I assume with this that she is full.
    She is only 2 weeks old so her stomach is still quite small. The link below has info about spitting up and stomach size. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    I would feed on demand and waker her if she reaches 3 hours without feeding. I let my LO go almost 4 hours once to see when she would wake on her own and she was quite mean and aggressive at the breast when she woke! I ended up giving a bottle to get her calm before I nursed.

You are doing a great job! I am now at 6 weeks and it is such a different time than when she was 2 weeks old!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Hello and congrats on your new LO (little one)!!! I too read the Baby-wise books and was going to follow them at first on the recommendation of a friend. She has 4 children and they will actually tell you it's nap time so you can go tuck them in. They are very happy well adjusted children and very well behaved. I just knew Baby-Wise was for me. Well........my child is a little head strong, some say just like his mamma but ya know..........I attempted to do the CIO (cry it out) at first and he would just scream the whole time and not let up until the next scheduled feeding. Then I found these forums and started seeing "other" research and there are just some things that make sense to me. Babies cry because they need something. The CIO method was driving me nuts as well as my son and I believe it contributed to his reflux because he would cry so so hard. I actually cried when I read this article. This article is what helped me to decide that the CIO was not for us. Remember though that it is whatever works for you and your family

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp#T051205

I am not a fan of co-sleeping but I did put the baby in a bassinet in the room beside the bed during the first 4 months so I could just wake up, feed him, put him back down and go to sleep. I would also recommend that if she's sleeping in a crib upstairs that you get a monitor so as soon as she wakes up you hear her and can attend to her needs. IMHO ( in my humble opinion) We are establishing trust in these first months. If a LO is crying for you and you don't show up or feed her when she's hungry that's telling them that you're not going to be there when they need you. I can't handle that. When my son cries, mommy is there to take care of him. He can't "tell" me what he needs so until he can I feel like I need to be there for him. He is now in his crib in his room. I personally believe it's my responsibility as a parent to "teach" my child to be independant whle knowing that if he needs me, I'll be there. You will find a multitude of opinions on these boards from a lot of good mommies. It's up to you and only you to make the decisions that are right for you and your family. I'm glad you found these boards. They've been a huge help to this first time mom as far as BF is concerned.

There is also a section in the administrative section that tells you all the abbreviations. HTH (hope that helps)!!!!! Congrats and best of luck!!!

Thank you all for your thoughts, links and ideas. I can tell already that this forum is going to turn out to be a great resource. I read some of the Dr. Sears stuff - I can tell I'll be spending plenty of time on that site as well. I have a monitor in place and carry it with me. My LO is a bit of a noisy sleeper - lot of sounds even during sleep - so it is sometimes difficult to tell if she is waking or just rustling away in her sleep.
    My pediatrician gave me some Vitamin D drops for her, and I tried them tonight for the first time just before I fed her. After eating she threw up BIG TIME. I'm wondering if it had something to do with the drops. Has anybody had any experiences like this. Do you know the best time to give her the Vitamin D in correlation with her feeding?
    The article about crying it out broke my heart too. I do find though that after I put her down sometimes (after eating, diaper change and not other discomforts to speak of) she'll cry for about two minutes and then settle. I hope that is okay for her. She definitely likes to be held until she is deep in sleep - but I think she should be able to go to bed and get to sleep on her own sometimes. Is it still to early for this way of thinking?
    Thanks again for your input.